MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class Coupe (C204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-coupe-c204-156/)
-   -   204 trunk, cheap materials? (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-coupe-c204/467006-204-trunk-cheap-materials.html)

Vector Pilot 10-14-2012 03:46 PM

204 trunk, cheap materials?

I'm a bimmer guy and new to this forum. My wife and I are interested, [for reasons too numerous to mention] leasing a 350 C204. Aside from the fact the car is exceptional, we were surprised to see the cheap materials used to line the trunk's deck and sides. Does anyone else find this to be true? Highest Regards

Quadcammer 10-14-2012 05:02 PM

who really cares? honestly

dol4er 10-14-2012 05:09 PM

Actually, I would say it is much better quality than a BMW 3 series' trunk...

Vector Pilot 10-14-2012 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by dol4er (Post 5393935)
Actually, I would say it is much better quality than a BMW 3 series' trunk...

Thanks for you comment. I'm currently driving a 335i and I can say the trunk liner is thicker and more durable. For the record, we use the trunk to stow luggage plus other bulky items for business trips. As for those who say "Who Cares," my concern, are there other short cuts and materials used not associated with an upscale brand?
Highest Regards.

jctevere 10-14-2012 09:40 PM

I actually thought that the trunk quality was best in class. Automatic rise on open, covers for the springs in which the BMW's and Infiniti components are exposed. And I like how its a pure black smooth finish instead of the cookies and cream colored cheap felt. I also really valued how the trunk didn't have varying heights and areas where things protrude into the trunk compartment like in the BMW. Its just a nice square and even surface that tilts upwards.

BMW:
http://0.tqn.com/d/cars/1/0/9/X/bmw_3coupe_trunk.jpg

Mercedes:
http://0.tqn.com/d/cars/1/0/w/f/2/ag_12c250_trunk.JPG

Vector Pilot 10-14-2012 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by jctevere (Post 5394196)
I actually thought that the trunk quality was best in class. Automatic rise on open, covers for the springs in which the BMW's and Infiniti components are exposed. And I like how its a pure black smooth finish instead of the cookies and cream colored cheap felt. I also really valued how the trunk didn't have varying heights and areas where things protrude into the trunk compartment like in the BMW. Its just a nice square and even surface that tilts upwards.

BMW:
http://0.tqn.com/d/cars/1/0/9/X/bmw_3coupe_trunk.jpg

Mercedes:
http://0.tqn.com/d/cars/1/0/w/f/2/ag_12c250_trunk.JPG

Thanks for posting the photos. I'm not trying to compare a BMW to a Mercedes. But comparing what I saw, the panels did not look as good as the ones depicted in the pictures. However the issue is not the overall appearance and capacity of the trunk but quality of the panels that defines the space. In short, the trunk panels, I saw, were so flimsy one could easily bend the material with two fingers. Regarding the 204, it's is excellent car and the test drive exceeded my expectation. Before going any further on this topic I'll go back to the dealer and give it another look. Highest Regards

andrew e coupe 10-15-2012 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Vector Pilot (Post 5393872)
I'm a bimmer guy and new to this forum. My wife and I are interested, [for reasons too numerous to mention] leasing a 350 C204. Aside from the fact the car is exceptional, we were surprised to see the cheap materials used to line the trunk's deck and sides. Does anyone else find this to be true? Highest Regards

~ i was also a bmw guy (5 straight bmws in a row since 2000) and agree the bmw panels in the trunk were much thicker and sturdier than the mb. especially the side panels.

as for the c coupe... i actually like the car much better than my prior '09 3 series coupe with sport pkg... plus there are very few c coupes on the roadways versus 3 series coupes.

cheers

benzmodz 10-15-2012 08:28 AM

Both Neiman Marcus and Hermes do custom interiors for a Mercedes. So if you want mahogany panelling with onyx inlay I'm sure they can accommodate your request. Seriously I think you are looking at the wrong end of the car. And you are leasing it anyway.

I think that is why the reply was "who cares". The details matter more if you plan on keeping the car 20 years.

Anyhow Mercedes sell trunk liners. That might help.

andrew e coupe 10-15-2012 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by benzmodz (Post 5394641)
Both Neiman Marcus and Hermes do custom interiors for a Mercedes. So if you want mahogany panelling with onyx inlay I'm sure they can accommodate your request. Seriously I think you are looking at the wrong end of the car. And you are leasing it anyway.

I think that is why the reply was "who cares". The details matter more if you plan on keeping the car 20 years.

Anyhow Mercedes sell trunk liners. That might help.

~ imo Vector Pilot has valid input. he's pointing out something of concern & question and there's nothing wrong with that. i'm just not sure why everyone has to be a smart ass? just my .02.

nomoremustang 10-15-2012 09:02 AM

I think it is fine. What I don't like is the size. You can't get a set of golf clubs in unless you drop the back seat or you take the woods out of the bag and then you can lay it horizontal.

I tried a SLK 350 and I couldn't get a bag in there at all.

Igor1080 10-18-2012 09:42 PM

Is it the same material on other Classes like E or S?

Breitling65 10-19-2012 06:35 AM

At least MB having spare tire in the trunk ...:)

UCSD_C350 10-21-2012 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by Vector Pilot (Post 5394019)
Thanks for you comment. I'm currently driving a 335i and I can say the trunk liner is thicker and more durable. For the record, we use the trunk to stow luggage plus other bulky items for business trips. As for those who say "Who Cares," my concern, are there other short cuts and materials used not associated with an upscale brand?
Highest Regards.

May I ask what you're loading in the trunk which makes this such a concern?

I don't see any major difference between my C350 and 7-series trunk lining, but maybe it concerns what you're hauling around? I hope the trunk lining isn't the decision-maker here because the C350 really is an exceptional car.

Vector Pilot 10-21-2012 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by UCSD_C350 (Post 5402319)
May I ask what you're loading in the trunk which makes this such a concern?

I don't see any major difference between my C350 and 7-series trunk lining, but maybe it concerns what you're hauling around? I hope the trunk lining isn't the decision-maker here because the C350 really is an exceptional car.

First let me say I too agree, after taking a limited test drive, the 204 350 is an exceptional car and one I'm seriously considering... Regarding my question about the strength of material used to line the trunk, I found it to be vastly inferior and flimsy compared to my 2011 E92 335i. I stated in another post my work requires travel and stowing a variety of packages plus luggage in the trunk. So with that being said my concern is, after extensive use, I may experience excessive wear and tear.
Highest Regards

UCSD_C350 10-21-2012 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Vector Pilot (Post 5402482)
First let me say I too agree, after taking a limited test drive, the 204 350 is an exceptional car and one I'm seriously considering... Regarding my question about the strength of material used to line the trunk, I found it to be vastly inferior and flimsy compared to my 2011 E92 335i. I stated in another post my work requires travel and stowing a variety of packages plus luggage in the trunk. So with that being said my concern is, after extensive use, I may experience excessive wear and tear.
Highest Regards

Get the all weather trunk liner. Im sure you can get one for free right before signing time lol

Sportstick 10-21-2012 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Vector Pilot (Post 5402482)
Highest Regards

The relevant comparison would be between the W204 and the F30 3 series. Cost reductions are typically rolled into a new program, and in the F30, for example, resulted in a hard plastic very cheap feeling lower door trim panel. You may have a new opinion of their trunk as well. I have a Weathertech cargo liner, and it is very effective at protecting whatever is beneath, although my 09 trunk floor liner seemed to be of typical material quality.