204 trunk, cheap materials?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 MB W205
Exclamation 204 trunk, cheap materials?

I'm a bimmer guy and new to this forum. My wife and I are interested, [for reasons too numerous to mention] leasing a 350 C204. Aside from the fact the car is exceptional, we were surprised to see the cheap materials used to line the trunk's deck and sides. Does anyone else find this to be true? Highest Regards
Old 10-14-2012, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
who really cares? honestly
Old 10-14-2012, 05:09 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
C204
Actually, I would say it is much better quality than a BMW 3 series' trunk...
Old 10-14-2012, 06:51 PM

2017 MB W205
Originally Posted by dol4er
Actually, I would say it is much better quality than a BMW 3 series' trunk...
Thanks for you comment. I'm currently driving a 335i and I can say the trunk liner is thicker and more durable. For the record, we use the trunk to stow luggage plus other bulky items for business trips. As for those who say "Who Cares," my concern, are there other short cuts and materials used not associated with an upscale brand?
Highest Regards.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
I actually thought that the trunk quality was best in class. Automatic rise on open, covers for the springs in which the BMW's and Infiniti components are exposed. And I like how its a pure black smooth finish instead of the cookies and cream colored cheap felt. I also really valued how the trunk didn't have varying heights and areas where things protrude into the trunk compartment like in the BMW. Its just a nice square and even surface that tilts upwards.

BMW:

Mercedes:

Last edited by jctevere; 10-14-2012 at 09:47 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:28 PM

2017 MB W205
Originally Posted by jctevere
I actually thought that the trunk quality was best in class. Automatic rise on open, covers for the springs in which the BMW's and Infiniti components are exposed. And I like how its a pure black smooth finish instead of the cookies and cream colored cheap felt. I also really valued how the trunk didn't have varying heights and areas where things protrude into the trunk compartment like in the BMW. Its just a nice square and even surface that tilts upwards.

BMW:

Mercedes:
Thanks for posting the photos. I'm not trying to compare a BMW to a Mercedes. But comparing what I saw, the panels did not look as good as the ones depicted in the pictures. However the issue is not the overall appearance and capacity of the trunk but quality of the panels that defines the space. In short, the trunk panels, I saw, were so flimsy one could easily bend the material with two fingers. Regarding the 204, it's is excellent car and the test drive exceeded my expectation. Before going any further on this topic I'll go back to the dealer and give it another look. Highest Regards
Old 10-15-2012, 08:20 AM

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts
2017 E400 Coupe & 2018 GLC43
Originally Posted by Vector Pilot
I'm a bimmer guy and new to this forum. My wife and I are interested, [for reasons too numerous to mention] leasing a 350 C204. Aside from the fact the car is exceptional, we were surprised to see the cheap materials used to line the trunk's deck and sides. Does anyone else find this to be true? Highest Regards
~ i was also a bmw guy (5 straight bmws in a row since 2000) and agree the bmw panels in the trunk were much thicker and sturdier than the mb. especially the side panels.

as for the c coupe... i actually like the car much better than my prior '09 3 series coupe with sport pkg... plus there are very few c coupes on the roadways versus 3 series coupes.

cheers
Old 10-15-2012, 08:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Both Neiman Marcus and Hermes do custom interiors for a Mercedes. So if you want mahogany panelling with onyx inlay I'm sure they can accommodate your request. Seriously I think you are looking at the wrong end of the car. And you are leasing it anyway.

I think that is why the reply was "who cares". The details matter more if you plan on keeping the car 20 years.

Anyhow Mercedes sell trunk liners. That might help.

Last edited by benzmodz; 10-15-2012 at 08:34 AM.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:42 AM

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts
2017 E400 Coupe & 2018 GLC43
Originally Posted by benzmodz
Both Neiman Marcus and Hermes do custom interiors for a Mercedes. So if you want mahogany panelling with onyx inlay I'm sure they can accommodate your request. Seriously I think you are looking at the wrong end of the car. And you are leasing it anyway.

I think that is why the reply was "who cares". The details matter more if you plan on keeping the car 20 years.

Anyhow Mercedes sell trunk liners. That might help.
~ imo Vector Pilot has valid input. he's pointing out something of concern & question and there's nothing wrong with that. i'm just not sure why everyone has to be a smart ***? just my .02.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C350 coupe; 2013 ML350

I think it is fine. What I don't like is the size. You can't get a set of golf clubs in unless you drop the back seat or you take the woods out of the bag and then you can lay it horizontal.

I tried a SLK 350 and I couldn't get a bag in there at all.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C204
Is it the same material on other Classes like E or S?
Old 10-19-2012, 06:35 AM

2015 ML350 Black/Black

At least MB having spare tire in the trunk ...
Old 10-21-2012, 04:58 AM

2012 C350
Thanks for you comment. I'm currently driving a 335i and I can say the trunk liner is thicker and more durable. For the record, we use the trunk to stow luggage plus other bulky items for business trips. As for those who say "Who Cares," my concern, are there other short cuts and materials used not associated with an upscale brand?
Highest Regards.
May I ask what you're loading in the trunk which makes this such a concern?

I don't see any major difference between my C350 and 7-series trunk lining, but maybe it concerns what you're hauling around? I hope the trunk lining isn't the decision-maker here because the C350 really is an exceptional car.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:16 AM

2017 MB W205
Originally Posted by UCSD_C350
May I ask what you're loading in the trunk which makes this such a concern?

I don't see any major difference between my C350 and 7-series trunk lining, but maybe it concerns what you're hauling around? I hope the trunk lining isn't the decision-maker here because the C350 really is an exceptional car.
First let me say I too agree, after taking a limited test drive, the 204 350 is an exceptional car and one I'm seriously considering... Regarding my question about the strength of material used to line the trunk, I found it to be vastly inferior and flimsy compared to my 2011 E92 335i. I stated in another post my work requires travel and stowing a variety of packages plus luggage in the trunk. So with that being said my concern is, after extensive use, I may experience excessive wear and tear.
Highest Regards
Old 10-21-2012, 01:15 PM

2012 C350
First let me say I too agree, after taking a limited test drive, the 204 350 is an exceptional car and one I'm seriously considering... Regarding my question about the strength of material used to line the trunk, I found it to be vastly inferior and flimsy compared to my 2011 E92 335i. I stated in another post my work requires travel and stowing a variety of packages plus luggage in the trunk. So with that being said my concern is, after extensive use, I may experience excessive wear and tear.
Highest Regards
Get the all weather trunk liner. Im sure you can get one for free right before signing time lol
Old 10-21-2012, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Highest Regards
The relevant comparison would be between the W204 and the F30 3 series. Cost reductions are typically rolled into a new program, and in the F30, for example, resulted in a hard plastic very cheap feeling lower door trim panel. You may have a new opinion of their trunk as well. I have a Weathertech cargo liner, and it is very effective at protecting whatever is beneath, although my 09 trunk floor liner seemed to be of typical material quality.