Strange popping sound after driving

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2012 | 02:35 AM

Question Strange popping sound after driving

Hello everyone. Any clue what could be the strange outside popping sound from back of my car (I'm not sure whether it comes from the exhaust or the most likely from the suspension) that is present after the driving. The sound is not hearable from inside the cabine, but only from outside once I park the car. It sounds like kind of a mechanical tension from the suspension as it come from the rear wheel area. On the beginning I was tought that the popping came from the exhaust, but the sound is on both sides of the car and my C180 has the single exhaust end only on left side, so I assume it comes from the suspension. It is strange to hear such a popping every time I park my car.

Anyone faced this kind of a popping sound? I would like to gather some info before bringing my car to the dealer.

(note: the car is less than 2 months old, 2013 C-Class Coupe with AMG package and 5.000 km / 3.100 miles driven)
Old 12-19-2012 | 08:53 AM

C204
This is absolutely normal. Mine also has it. It is because of the high temperature of the exhaust while driving, and when you park the car it starts cooling down - that's it.

Also, depending on the country you are from, the cover of the bottom of the car may be made out of metal which is also heating up and then cooling down. My car has got metal covers below, for example. Where are you from?

Last edited by dol4er; 12-19-2012 at 08:57 AM.
Old 12-19-2012 | 09:32 AM

Hi dol4er, thanks for your reply "

btw. I'm from Slovakia
Old 12-19-2012 | 09:44 AM

C204
You should also have metal covers below. That's why you hear the sound all around the car. Anyway, you can ask the dealer, just in case.