Need advice on what's wrong.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2013 | 07:54 AM

2005 C230 Sports Coupe (Evolution)
Need advice on what's wrong.

Hello,

I went for a test drive in the new C250 CDi Coupe and it was simply amazing! It just sat on the road so perfectly and I didn't feel the speed at all and going over bumps was like sitting on a cloud.

I've got a 2005 C230 Coupe (the 1.8L one) and my ride isn't even close to what it was when it was new or the C250 I test drove. My ride is bumpy and it just doesn't seem to glide and float nearly as well as the C250. I've never had my shocks replaced (as I was told that they were still ok when I went to get them checked out) or had any other work done on my car. My springs are also the originals.

When I first got my car it was amazingly smooth and, as far as I remember, very close to the C250 in comfort where as now I feel every single bump and there is no cloud.

My question is; is there any way to get my 2005 car feeling as close as possible to the C250 in terms of ride comfort and going over bumps again?

What can be done in order to get my ride smooth again without feeling each and every single bump and stone in the road?

Many thanks and my apologies for not knowing much about cars.

Chris
Old 02-27-2013 | 02:31 PM

2012 C250 Coupe 040 black
Tires are very important, try out softer tires if you are looking for comfort.
Old 02-27-2013 | 03:27 PM

2005 C230 Sports Coupe (Evolution)
Originally Posted by VIPCHOI
Tires are very important, try out softer tires if you are looking for comfort.
Thanks very much. I'm running the original make of Michelin Pilot Primacy and also the Yokohama Decibel but I'm 100% sure it's not them.

Could it be shocks at all?
Old 02-27-2013 | 07:26 PM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

C204 C250-CDI
Originally Posted by c_cousens
Hello,

I went for a test drive in the new C250 CDi Coupe and it was simply amazing! It just sat on the road so perfectly and I didn't feel the speed at all and going over bumps was like sitting on a cloud.

I've got a 2005 C230 Coupe (the 1.8L one) and my ride isn't even close to what it was when it was new or the C250 I test drove. My ride is bumpy and it just doesn't seem to glide and float nearly as well as the C250. I've never had my shocks replaced (as I was told that they were still ok when I went to get them checked out) or had any other work done on my car. My springs are also the originals.

When I first got my car it was amazingly smooth and, as far as I remember, very close to the C250 in comfort where as now I feel every single bump and there is no cloud.

My question is; is there any way to get my 2005 car feeling as close as possible to the C250 in terms of ride comfort and going over bumps again?

What can be done in order to get my ride smooth again without feeling each and every single bump and stone in the road?

Many thanks and my apologies for not knowing much about cars.

Chris
Hello and welcome c_cousens

First of all great to hear about your impressions of the C250-CDI it is IMHO with all things considered the best all round C Class variant and the reason I chose one for myself, with only a slight modification it has the pulling power of a C63 with a only a fraction of the fuel burn of the petrol IL4's along with all the other good points of the C Class, it's a total package for a daily driven vehicle

Getting back to your situation, I don't think you can get your older C230 to replicate the newer C Classes because they are equipped with newer tech adaptable magnetic dampers which is what gives them that combination of excellent handling and ride quality.

I suppose what you could do is replace your dampers with new ones (OEM) and also new tyres and that should go back to feeling the same as when it was new, dampers do wear with time and that does affect ride quality.
Old 02-28-2013 | 09:00 PM

2012 c250 Coupe
First, inflate tires to about 32psi cold. See if bumpyness improves.

Your shocks probably have to be replaced.
Old 02-28-2013 | 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55, SL63, ML550
Originally Posted by AV1
Hello and welcome c_cousens

, with only a slight modification it has the pulling power of a C63.
What world do you live in?
Old 03-01-2013 | 03:49 AM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

C204 C250-CDI
Originally Posted by Shifter
What world do you live in?
Just to clarify we're talking about 'pulling power' or torque envelopes you may be thinking of overall acceleration we all know who is king in that respect