punctured/flat rear passenger tire :(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2013 | 09:30 PM

MB
punctured/flat rear passenger tire :(

Today while i was driving to work on the highway, I started to feel a bit rough in the back wheel as if I was driving with something stuck on the tire, I then slowed down a bit just to make sure it's not because of the road condition and kept on going, then all the sudden i heard this pop noise from the backside and few seconds later the dashboard had a message saying "check tire pressure soon".

I was in the middle of highway going 100km/h and I was like holy**** what am I going to do. I have never had a situation like this before so I wasn't sure if i should keep going or stop on the side. So I decided I better stop now and check what's going, that's when I saw the rear right side tire was flatten, and I could smell rubber burning and saw some white smoke as well. Thank God I stopped.

Anyway, tow truck came and I asked to tow it to the dealership. There they told me I had a punctured hole on the inner side of the tire, possibly due to a nail or something, (but how can you get hit with a nail from the inside?) along with few other small areas that were ripped open.

At the end it cost me $400 to replaced a new tire, dealer replaced it with OEM Continental Conti Pro again, but later when I searched on google i found many bad reviews about this tire...

Could this be a tire defect or just bad product quality? I don't understand how I could've hit a nail from the inside, and I don't recall running over any object or big pot holes... it just didn't make sense.

My car is less than two years old with just 26000 KM. Thoughts? or just my bad luck?

Last edited by SLK_CA; 04-24-2013 at 09:34 PM.
Old 04-25-2013 | 07:05 PM

MB
- UPDATE -

Today while I was driving the "Check tire pressure soon" warning message showed up on the dashboard AGAIN!

I got off the car and inspected all tires but didn't see anything obviously wrong... WHAT the hell is going on with my car....
Old 04-29-2013 | 02:11 AM

2012 C350 4matic
You need to reset the tire pressure warning system after a tire change. Your dealer may hae forgotten to do this for you. Check the tire pressures in the morning and then reset the system (instructions are in the owner's manual).