Dealer possibly took my car for joyride?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 c250 coupe
Dealer possibly took my car for joyride?!

So my low beam recently went out and I took it in to have it checked out and did Service A as well. They fixed the low beam issue as one of the pins were loose. When I picked up my car there were 12 miles accumulated...I called and left a voicemail regarding this concern. On the summary paperworks it says they took it on a long road test to duplicate the "light" problem. Firstly, with the lighting package the lights will automatically come on when it's dark or indoors (requires no road test) and second I did not have any mechanical related work done that would require a road test, not even service A. Not to mention my radio was left on full blast volume which almost deafen me and the contents of my trunk were all over the place. What should I do about this? Thanks everyone.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:39 AM

2012 C350 Black with Red Leather, 1973 911
Originally Posted by Tard
Yes, most dealers deeply yearn to get their hands on a rare C250 coupe and cruise the open roads. This reminds me of Ferris Buehler when the garage attendants take the '63 Ferrari Spyder for a joyride. A C250 is equally rare, I think you may be onto something.
Rare is a c63. Why would you consider a c250 a rare car.

Last edited by gwi42; 09-06-2013 at 07:43 AM.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:42 AM

This is a wide spread issue. My neighbor dropped off his 550sl and the next day it had 75 more miles. Turns out one of the mechanic took it home.

Last edited by gwi42; 09-06-2013 at 04:34 PM.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:02 AM

2018 GLC300W
Originally Posted by sheizfreshhh
So my low beam recently went out and I took it in to have it checked out and did Service A as well. They fixed the low beam issue as one of the pins were loose. When I picked up my car there were 12 miles accumulated...I called and left a voicemail regarding this concern. On the summary paperworks it says they took it on a long road test to duplicate the "light" problem. Firstly, with the lighting package the lights will automatically come on when it's dark or indoors (requires no road test) and second I did not have any mechanical related work done that would require a road test, not even service A. Not to mention my radio was left on full blast volume which almost deafen me and the contents of my trunk were all over the place. What should I do about this? Thanks everyone.

It's too bad you didn't take photos of the trunk and dashboard (for the mileage and gas level) before you gave them the keys... That way you would have indisputable proof. However, I still think you should go see the Service Manager (and if necessary, the actual dealership GM or Owner) to voice your concern. The best that they can do now is compensate you for the mishap.

For the next time I would...

1. Find a different dealership with a more reputable Service Shop.

-- OR --

1. Take photos of the dashboard (to capture the current mileage and gas level) when you first arrive at the bay to drop the car off. Even though you don't need to be a jerk about it, make sure the reps see what you're doing.

2. When you agree on what needs to be done to the car, ask them flat out if anything of those services you're getting requires a road test. If they say "nothing does" then you have a clear case for "if it happens again".

3. If the road test is required then ask them for their written policy governing the behavior of the road test driver. If they don't have one ask to speak with the Service Manager immediately and fully explain your concerns and expectations.

4. Regardless, get them to sign something describing what you discussed and make sure they call you beforehand if that changes.

5. Again, the goal isn't to be a jerk and to be known as a troublemaker... But to let them know that you are serious about how they take care of your baby when it's in their hands.

-- OR --

1. This is the utterly last resort because you won't see anything happen at all or faster than a snail's pace... Contact MBUSA and complain to the Customer Relationship Manager (or their equivalent). The concept here is that MBUSA is protecting their brand, so they'll want to do something about it... It just may take a while to figure out who you need to talk to and for them to jump down the appropriate dealer's throat.

I wish you the best!
Old 09-06-2013, 08:26 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
C204
It seems that it is a quite common thing. Many people have told be that it has happened to them. Good that it has never happened to me...
Old 09-10-2013, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Tard
You are all delusional retards.
Delusional retards? You just showed your the one who is delusional. What the hell is wrong with you seek help.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
The mechanics probably took it to get lunch. I wouldn't care about 12 miles personally...
Old 09-11-2013, 04:31 PM

2013 c250 coupe
Thanks to everyone who had something positive to say. I know my car isnt fast or anything, but its just the principle. I have since spoke with both their general manager and the service manager and they gave me a free service b to compensate for the 12 miles. They spoke with the tech and in fact the tech did take the car out when it was unnecessary for personal reasons.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
E350 Sport/ML350RWD
I wish they would take my car for a 12 mile drive and give me a $400+ B-Service for free.
Sorry it happened but that is a very nice way to apologize.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:48 PM

C350 Coupe
I am sure they went to go pick up lunch.