HID headlight

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C300 4MATIC
HID headlight

My car came with "aftermarket" HID headlights. They were fine until I saw the check left low beam message. Saw that light was flickering at start of engine and then it died out. Right one is fine. Took it to the dealer they told me they couldnt touch it because it was aftermarket, my thoughts were like "dont you just have to change the bulb??" They refused and suggested that they could revert back to stock halogen for $600+

Outrageous.

So I'm thinking, is the bulb out? Why does it flicker a bit at the start of the engine and then die out? Maybe the ballast is failing?

I am trying to see if I can just replace the bulb and see what happens, but I see bulbs priced from $24 for a set of two, to $99 per bulb at Autozone, why the huge price differences? Should I spend more for longevity or are they the same? (aside from temp).

Or can I just unplug the ballast and just plug regular bulbs with the stock wiring and call it a day for $30 instead of $600?
Old 04-15-2014, 07:52 PM
Administrator

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Or you could read on here what others have done in similar situations. The search might be faster than posting and waiting.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C204, W209, W164
The differences in pricing of bulbs you're seeing is probably because you're looking at two types of bulbs. Typical aftermarket HID bulbs are sorted with a 'H' designation; H1, H7, H11, etc.. OEM/Factory bulbs are sorted via D's; D1S, D2S, etc.. The 'H' bulbs being less expensive, and the 'D' bulbs being much more expensive.

Cars that come with OEM fitted Xenon/HID headlights are entirely different from aftermarket HID's. Easiest way to distinguish the difference between the two is if your bulb has a square metal base on the bottom of the bulb which would be OEM.

Anyways, to answer your question - no. The bulb more than likely works just fine, but, being a Mercedes, electronics run off a Canbus system. They detect if components are using less than a pre-determined amount of voltage, hence why you're receiving the headlight error. If it flashes and turns off on start up, it is more than likely a lack of voltage being sent by the stock wiring of the vehicle. The easiest fix, and typically the best fix to this is to buy a HID harness and wire the lights to your battery instead of piggy-backing off of the factory wiring for headlights. Being that the previous owner more than likely bought some cheap eBay kit, this is guaranteed to be the problem.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C300 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Infamouz
Anyways, to answer your question - no. The bulb more than likely works just fine, but, being a Mercedes, electronics run off a Canbus system. They detect if components are using less than a pre-determined amount of voltage, hence why you're receiving the headlight error. If it flashes and turns off on start up, it is more than likely a lack of voltage being sent by the stock wiring of the vehicle. The easiest fix, and typically the best fix to this is to buy a HID harness and wire the lights to your battery instead of piggy-backing off of the factory wiring for headlights. Being that the previous owner more than likely bought some cheap eBay kit, this is guaranteed to be the problem.
Thanks, what I will probably do is buy a new HID kit for a decent price & see if I can figure out on my own where to plug in the stuff.