motor ticking noise? beeping sound from front end??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C350 Coupe 4matic
motor ticking noise? beeping sound from front end??

Hello--I recently purchased a 2012 c350 coupe 4matic certified from a well known dealership. Ive only had it for 45 days but I've noticed that the motor makes a "ticking" sound...my dad thinks it could be the fuel injectors but further examination looks like one of the small pulleys is wiggling. I guess my question for everyone---are our motors just noisy? I feel like a Mercedes benz should be a quiet car and not make any noises outside of the norm.

Also--I was washing the wheels on my car and it sounded like there was an intermittent beeping sound (kind of like a dead battery on a fire alarm in your house) coming from the front end... are there fuses or any electrical items you guys can think would be causing this?

Im taking the car back to the dealership today to address a creaking panoramic roof and to express my concerns about the two listed items but I would like my other c350 members to give me the business rather than hearing "that's just the way the car sounds" from the dealer.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:05 PM

1967 250SEL, 1982 380SL, 2000 ML320, 2005 SL500, 2018 GLE350
Originally Posted by acaruso8
Hello--I recently purchased a 2012 c350 coupe 4matic certified from a well known dealership. Ive only had it for 45 days but I've noticed that the motor makes a "ticking" sound...my dad thinks it could be the fuel injectors but further examination looks like one of the small pulleys is wiggling. I guess my question for everyone---are our motors just noisy? I feel like a Mercedes benz should be a quiet car and not make any noises outside of the norm.

Also--I was washing the wheels on my car and it sounded like there was an intermittent beeping sound (kind of like a dead battery on a fire alarm in your house) coming from the front end... are there fuses or any electrical items you guys can think would be causing this?

Im taking the car back to the dealership today to address a creaking panoramic roof and to express my concerns about the two listed items but I would like my other c350 members to give me the business rather than hearing "that's just the way the car sounds" from the dealer.
Funny you should ask. The engine noise is definitely NOT normal. You're talking about when it is running, right? Not clicks after parking and turning it off? Because that's normal expansion/contraction of metal.

But the pano roof creaking? DEFINITELY normal. I guess the extent of it could vary slightly, but it's inherent to the design. Look at the top of your car... the glass fits into the frame in large solid pieces that span the entire width of the frame. The frame of your car is designed to flex slightly-- glass is not. For example, when coming out a drive way on a hill when you have to make a 90 degree turn at the bottom. Your car's frame flexes slightly when you're pulling down the hill and turning right. But the glass does not and so you hear it "setting" in the frame. If you're hearing it A LOT, all the time, maybe it needs to be lubricated. But it'll never go away completely.

By the way, guys on the E class forum that have pano roofs on their cars report the same thing. It's part of the tradeoff you make getting it. It looks cool, but it's heavy and occasionally noisy. I'll note that in a typical week of driving I'll only hear it a couple of times, and even then only when I'm flexing the frame performing a maneuver like the one I described above.

Oh yeah, you mentioned something about beeping too. I have no idea what that could be, sorry.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:44 PM

2012 C350 Coupe 4matic
In response to my orientalist post. Here are the dealer comments :

CLIENT STATES PANORAMIC ROOF MAKES LOUD POPPING NOISE WHEN GOING OVER DIPS. PERFORMED ROAD TEST AFTER MULTIPLE TESTS FOUND NOISE COMING FROM PANORAMIC ROOF FRAME. REMOVED ROOF TRIM ON VEHICLE AND CHECKED BOLTS ON FRAME. FOUND LEFT FRONT BOLT STRIPPED. .2 NON TIME FOR REPLACEMENT OF BOLT. REPLACED BOLT AND TORQUED TO SPEC. REINSTALLED ROOF TRIM AND ROAD TESTED. NOISE IS GONE

As for the other two they said everything was operating as designed and that they are designed