Dilemma on changing from16" to 18" wheels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 07:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes c class 220 coupe
Dilemma on changing from16" to 18" wheels

I have recently brought a c class 220 coupe on a 13 plate it came with 16" standard wheels which look ok but was thinking of upgrading to 18" Amg wheels. Only concern is the ride of the 18" as I got told it will make a lot tougher ride. Can any one help me on the decision on changing ? Will it make that much of a harsh bumpy ride or will there not be much difference.

Cheers aaron
Old 01-15-2016, 10:11 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2013 C350 4matic coupe
Originally Posted by Azza_1024
I have recently brought a c class 220 coupe on a 13 plate it came with 16" standard wheels which look ok but was thinking of upgrading to 18" Amg wheels. Only concern is the ride of the 18" as I got told it will make a lot tougher ride. Can any one help me on the decision on changing ? Will it make that much of a harsh bumpy ride or will there not be much difference.

Cheers aaron
It's not a simple answer. There are a lot of contributing factors to ride comfort. Like what are the road conditions in your area? And are you planning on running dedicated summer tires or all seasons.

I went thru many cars in my stable over the last 15 years. I recently parted ways with my 2005 C55. It ran on staggered 18s. I ran Continental DW summer tires, and ran with the Continental DWS all seasons. Just the switch in tire made a difference in feel hitting a bump. The all season were more compliant, but at the expense of overall corning grip and steering response. But I live in New York City. There's no such thing as a smooth patch of road here.

I recently picked up a 2013 C350 4matic coupe. It came with the staggered 17in AMG wheel with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3. In all honesty, I'm not missing not having 18s. I can't believe how much corning grip this car has, and how quick, aggressive initial turn in is.

I'm a road cyclist. I met a another road cyclist who was a transplant from San Diego, California. He had a really nice full carbon frame bike. He said to me, if he had to go out and buy a new bicycle all over again, he would never buy a full carbon frame for these bad New York City roads.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:24 AM

Received 183 Likes on 115 Posts
2015 E400 and 2015 GLK350
Thinking in generalities, the 18" wheels will probably have a harsher ride. Think of it this way -- You want to keep the outside diameter of the wheel/tire combinations the same so that your speedometer will remain correct. (There is no easy way to change the gearing, so it is what it is.) If the outside diameter of the tire is the same but the inside diameter (size of the wheel) is larger, then the sidewall is shorter. This shorter sidewall will translate to crisper turn-in and handling response, at the expense of harsher ride over bumps and pavement irregularities.

That's the theory. I cannot tell you if you will like it or not -- that is a very individual decision that you would have to feel to decide.

Is there anywhere you can "borrow" a set of 18" wheels/tires to try it out? This is a rather expensive change to make without knowing if you will be happy with it.

On the other hand, if you are desiring a firmer, more sporty ride, then go for it!