How would I check if the antenna Amp is toast or not?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 CL230 / 2006 Saab 9-3
How would I check if the antenna Amp is toast or not?

I have posted this question before and was told that it was in the wrong forum - My car is a 2006 C230 Coupe which I believe is a W203 but I can't seem to find that forum. Any help would be appreciated.
I know this subject has been much discussed in the past but here goes again.
After I foolishly removed the hatch tint using a clothes steamer with the hatch in the up position and thus allowing steam and water to flow under the trim the cars radio and remote key functions became intermittent and eventually stopped working all together.
I fixed the radio reception by installing a fender whip antenna but my remote key functions don't work at all.
****Recently I carefully removed the 2 piece antenna amps from under the trim at the top of the hatch. After opening the clips on plastic casings I noticed powdery greenish corrosion in parts of the circuit boards. I cleaned the boards and examined with a magnifying glass and could not spot any damage. Of course I realize that part of the resistors and other fine electronics may have blown that can not be spotted by the naked eye. And now my question is - how can I test the amp to determine if it will work before re-installing?

WHICH part of the amp controls the Key FOB>

Last edited by konstaner; 12-20-2016 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:43 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,044 Likes on 967 Posts
1999 E300TD
You test the system with diagnostic software------spend about 3-5 hundred on a good non polish diagnostic scanner and you will have your answer.

The antenna is a receiver, doesn't control anything!
Old 12-21-2016, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Plutoe
You test the system with diagnostic software------spend about 3-5 hundred on a good non polish diagnostic scanner and you will have your answer.

The antenna is a receiver, doesn't control anything!
No ----- I have removed the antenna amplifier and would like to test it before I re-install it. Also wondering what length of wires could I possibly attach in order to test it before going through the expensive procedure of having the hatch window removed in order to re adhere the antenna to it.

Last edited by konstaner; 12-21-2016 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-08-2017, 01:25 PM

Happ - Happy - all works great again.

Replaced the antenna amp with a used one and all works fine again.