MB collision repair or independent body shop?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 08:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C350 Coupe 4matic
MB collision repair or independent body shop?

Hey guys-

i was in a 3 car pile up yesterday. First car in line so only my trunk and bumper are mainly effected visually until they get into actually taking apart the car and find anything else. I was wondering if you guys think it's best to go back thru MB collision to make sure it's all done properly or go to a trusted independent shop? Trunk is bent, didn't try opening it cause I don't think it will close. Bumper is bent in around the fenders, and headrests are disengaged.

I pay a small premium on my insurance to make sure I get MB parts so I don't think going independent will cause me to get non-OEM parts.

Any help is is much appreciated!

Old 07-18-2017, 09:04 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2020 E 350; 2022 E450 Coupe; 2005 Porsche Cayenne; 1975 Porsche 911 Carrera 3.0
Ouch! Sorry about the damage.

I am a firm believer of utilizing what you pay for. My insurance Company USAA is by the best out there, PERIOD. They have "preferred" shops identified that perform repairs to their high standards. The shops REALLY want this status and really strive to please the customer.

One time I was rear ended in my Porsche Cayenne and the preferred independent shop suggested I install a tow hitch while he had the car apart. He told me to buy the hitch and he would install it free of charge.

At the time of repair I was offered the choice, 1) New OEM, 2) Used OEM, or 3) New Aftermarket. I believe they have to disclose what type of parts they are using, at least in California.

I also like the good reputable Indy shops because I get better feedback on how the repairs are going.

Having spent a number of years around body shops I will caution you to steer clear of the Indy shop that has 5 or so major long term restorations in progress at the same time. You know with primer sprayed, areas taped off, and minor surface rust in areas.You want the shop that does it right the first time and quick.

Of course going to the dealer is a safe bet, but God Forbid I had to deal with a repair, I would seek out a preferred shop as identified by my insurance company. One additional benefit by going this route, they may lower or wave your deductible.

Last edited by RNajarian; 07-18-2017 at 09:10 AM.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:37 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Mercedes C250 Coupe
I would stick with the dealer (unless you've previous experience with your repair choice.

USAA membership (MHO) is not what it was when I was commissioned. My last adjuster - and I like women - couldn't pour **** out of a boot with the directions written on the heel.

I find USAA's current auto coverage rate structure not very competitive (but USAA HO insurance - is FIRST CLASS)...............................

ez
Old 07-19-2017, 08:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 118 Likes on 109 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic Sport Sedan
I hope you pay for OEM parts in your insurance policy...found this out when I was rear ended too. That damage will for sure be over $5000. I'd go with a MB repair centre even though once mine was fixed the repairs cracked again 25 year warranty on the work, free loner car and if it cracks 3 times they put a brand new one on.

I just had a rear bumper cover and rebar it was $3500 CAD
Old 10-30-2019, 01:47 PM

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
2017 C300 Cab 4Matic
Call your own insurer first. The other guy's insurer's priority is usually to get out as cheaply as possible. Don't sign anything until your satisfied it's being handled well for you. Body shop skills and quality vary immensely. Is the shop working on M-Bs and Audis, or Fords and Hyundais? Some states mandate that you may pick the repair shop. Personally, I'd insist the work be done by the best shop around, one that's been there a long time. The lifetime warranty is mostly marketing. I'd check with M-B and other higher end dealers for recommendations and check the shops credentials. Everything from the parts to paint should be OEM or MB level quality. If the damage is serious, maybe invest a few hundred in speaking with a lawyer to be sure you get what your entitled to.