Center Console USB Charging via Lightening Cable

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 10:56 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2020 E 350; 2022 E450 Coupe; 2005 Porsche Cayenne; 1975 Porsche 911 Carrera 3.0
Center Console USB Charging via Lightening Cable

I know that during the Apple 30 pin to the Lightening Cable debut during the in iPhone 5 roll out there were some isssues getting the new phone to integrate with Mercedes Vehicles.

Today I noticed I CAN charge an Android based phone using the center console USB port but I CANNOT do so with an iPhone 7 using a certified Apple Lightening Cable.

Interestingly, it makes the "plug in" sound when the Cable is connected to the iPhone via the center console but it does NOT charge the phone.

Is this typical for a 2012 W204?
How did you guys get around it?
Will a certified Apple 30 pin to Lightening Cable adapter charge the phone (using the vehicles media interface)?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Center Console USB Charging via Lightening Cable-img_0253.jpg  

Last edited by RNajarian; 08-03-2017 at 12:30 AM.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:32 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2020 E 350; 2022 E450 Coupe; 2005 Porsche Cayenne; 1975 Porsche 911 Carrera 3.0
Got the Answer

Well a little research and a trip to the Apple Store resolved my question.

Regarding using the USB port in the center console to charge an iPhone; I suspect the reason it doesn't work is because the vehicle USB jack does not have enough volts or the more likely answer not enough milliamperes.

I bought the Apple Certified 30 pin to 8 pin adapter and connected it to the (Matsumi) Mercedes Benz Audio Interface Cable and . . .

The adapter not only charges the iPhone 7 BUT also gives vehicle control of my audio library on the phone. The Gracenotes system works, showing album jackets. The information display on the instrument cluster shows the song that is playing and by utilizing the Command controls you can see albums, songs, artists etc.

Quite frankly I am glad the USB port does not work, the Audio Interface works so much better, and yes I know I can bluetooth stream but the Audio Interface system is easier to use than the streaming method.

The only problem, the adapter cable is only 0.2 meters long, I wish it was a little longer.

Hope this helps

UPDATE
8-25-2017

The media interface is working well with the cable adapter as described above, HOWEVER, the phone doesn't charge as quickly as desired. My iPhone 7 Plus indicates it is charging with the audible sound when you plug it in (but no Lightening Bolt icon.) After driving for a 1/2 hour with dedicated charging (no bluetooth streaming or phone calls) a slight improvement in charge was noted. Same dynamic mic with the provided USB port in the arm rest console. Likely reason is too little available amperes. The owners manual states the armrest USB port provides 0.5 amperes. One can assume the media interface also provides a maximum of 0.5 Amperes as well. Below is a reply on the Apple support forum regarding an iPhone 6 not charging . . .

The iPhone 6 requires more power than either the iPhone 4s or 5. The USB ports in your car may simply not be providing enough power to charge it.

The iPhone 4s and 5 require only a fraction of what the 5w charger they ship with provides. The iPhone 6 requires every bit of power provided by the charger.

So it is possible the vehicle doesn't provide enough amps to charge the phone quickly, however, I may have come up with a solution. I have a small external battery, 4 inches X 3/4 inch X 3/4 inch. I also have a short USB charging cable for that battery. I am leaving that battery connected to the USB port in the arm rest and have a regular length Apple Lightening Cable plugged into the battery. So as I drive the battery remains charged, but when I hook up the phone, it charges faster using the battery.
Attached Thumbnails Center Console USB Charging via Lightening Cable-img_1167.jpg  

Last edited by RNajarian; 10-10-2017 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Updated information.
The following users liked this post:
Ludedude (08-03-2017)