Timing Chain Issues c class coupe 2012 (Not the usual question)

Old 12-22-2017, 06:46 AM
eke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
merc c class
Angry Timing Chain Issues c class coupe 2012 (Not the usual question)

Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forum and I am looking for some advice on an issue with regards to the timing chain on my C180 coupe 2012 (Automatic).

The basic story is:

The car had a service in Feb 2017 which noted a strange rattle on start up (I did not own the car at this point)

I then took receipt of the car in June 2017 with only 40K miles on the clock, full dealer service history and MOT, everything was fine.

After completing 2000 miles one day when driving the car started to make a very loud and strange noise, there was nowhere to pull over therefore I drove for around a mile before I could find somewhere safe to do so, after this I have not drove the car or started it at all.

I took it back to the garage I bought it from and they have diagnosed the problem as the timing chain (All the info I have been given), they have offered to fully replace the chain and repair the car.

Now I know there is a lot of forums and threads around known issues with the timing chain, however my question is a little different and I cannot seem to find an answer.

I am wondering what other problems may have occurred as a result of the timing chain being damaged and driving a mile with this strange noise, is there anything else I must tell the garage they need to check / replace / repair to ensure the engine is in a working state when returned and not likely to break again. I am not very knowledgeable on cars however I have noted some important aspects with regards to the timing issue when doing some research, and plan to go back to the garage it these statements, could you helpful people please tell me if these are correct and if I have missed any vital components that will also need to be checked / replaced

1. If the timing chain usually jumps time during cranking this can cause the valves to get bent, these must be checked.

2. Both left and right cylinder heads can be damaged, therefore it is recommended to remove both heads and do a complete valve job.

3. Undertake complete Engine flush

4. Replace oil and oil filter after repair, and again 1 month after.

5. Supercharger must be checked as this is oil fed.

I hope anyone can help me out with this situation, apologies if what I have said above is wrong as i have mentioned i am not very knowledgeable with cars.

Thanks
Old 12-23-2017, 12:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2013 Mercedes C250 Coupe
If this engine is a "non-interference" engine, you should not have any engine damage. But if it is not, then you could have various engine issues such as bent valves, piston damage, cyl head...etc. Anything in the valve train could be affected
I, offhand, do not know if your motor is a non-interference or not. If you were able to keep driving, your chain did not break, but may have jumped a tooth, throwing off your timing. Again, the issues, and if there are any, will depend on the type motor you have. Not sure if where you obtained you car is a good knowledgeable garage for MB, but a qualified garage should know what to do without your input other than the issue at hand.

Good luck

Last edited by bigrob126; 12-23-2017 at 12:42 PM.
Old 12-28-2017, 12:48 PM
eke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
merc c class
Originally Posted by bigrob126
If this engine is a "non-interference" engine, you should not have any engine damage. But if it is not, then you could have various engine issues such as bent valves, piston damage, cyl head...etc. Anything in the valve train could be affected
I, offhand, do not know if your motor is a non-interference or not. If you were able to keep driving, your chain did not break, but may have jumped a tooth, throwing off your timing. Again, the issues, and if there are any, will depend on the type motor you have. Not sure if where you obtained you car is a good knowledgeable garage for MB, but a qualified garage should know what to do without your input other than the issue at hand.

Good luck
thank you for your reply, it is very much appreciated. Iv done my research and it seems my engine is a interfence engine. Hopefully the damage is minimal and the engine can be repaired.

Once again thank you for the reply