Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 08:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
How do you remove the headliner?

Hi guys.

I have a C205 that needs a new roof airbag I just bought the car.

I have the WIS which tells you what to do to remove what you need.

I followed every single instruction on how to remove the headliner but it's just not coming down.

I've taken everything off and slid the headliner back like on it's rail as instructed but nothing happens. I just slides back a little but doesn't come down like it's supposed to.

Does any have experience removing the headliner in these. I would imagine not because it's so new but I'm stuck!!

Any help will be extremely appreciated.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:12 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,023 Likes on 951 Posts
1999 E300TD
Either you missed a step or you have the wrong WIS document----keep trying!!
Old 04-05-2017, 04:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
Yes, you're right.

So the way it's done is, you remove all you need to remove, the sunvisor, overhead lamp, the screws under the hanging hooks etc etc

What you need to do is slide it, that's where I was stumped because mine slid but stopped.

That normal, it slides back only a little. What you need to do after that is gently pull down a little all the way at the back. There are these clip things off center to the left and right on the rear of the headliner.

The headliner slides into them when you're putting it back.

After that the headliner will be loose all the way at the back but it's still not coming down.

What you need to do is GENTLY put your hand between the headliner and the sunroof opening (on the opening's side) and sort of pull the headliner off the sunroof frame. It's hard to explain but the headliner is sort of sitting on the frame and the frame acts as a rail.

You need to pull it off the rail gently from the left and right. When you pull it off either side, the headliner will come down and the other side will automatically come down too but be ready as the whole headliner is now coming down.

Lay some towels or something on all hard surfaces under and on the steering wheel to avoid damage to the headliner an steering wheel etc.

If the seats are in place, position them to support the headliner. If not, get some milk crates one on top of the other on each side of the interior with a towel on them.

When you come back to put the headliner back, the need to slide hook all the way at the back before remounting the headliner on the sunroof frame because they need to slide in, not pop in so if you don't put them in first, the rear will hang and not sit right.

It's very uncomfortable putting it back, have someone help you so you don't damage anything.

After that, slip the headliner, whatever side of the sunroof frame, left or right, on the frame then do the other side and now you should able to slide it that little bit forward to completely get it into position and also press in that clip where the overhead light is to secure it and then put everything back.

I wish I had taken photos but I did this alone and it was a nightmare to do it let alone hold a camera properly and I was in a hurry.
The following users liked this post:
C3004matidriver (07-08-2021)