Is loud really better or am I...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 09:07 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
2017 C300 Coupe, 2013 Cadillac ATS 2.0T
Is loud really better or am I...

...fooling myself?

I guess some will jump on me for not going back to an earlier post about how the coupe's Burmeister system inadequately distributes sound throughout the cabin...so be it. Originally, I noted that the sound mostly came from the front and couldn't be made to "fill" the cabin, particularly when one wanted the sound to appear to be overhead. To me, the fadder just couldn't appropriately move the sound away from the front towards a more encompassing overhead position. And, going to the dealer was of no help.

So, after several months of on and off trying to get better sound coverage, I think I have come about as close as I can towards this goal. I adjusted the fadder to 8/9 towards the back and turned on the volume louder than I just "normal." Mind you, not blasting loud, but just loud enough so that I got the feeling that sound was emanating more from an overhead position than from the front of the car.

I'm probably a bit older than a lot of you guys, and I do have a very mild age related hearing deficit that may be screwing up how I hear the music. But truthfully I don't think so as the sound in my previous cars (ATS and 325i) certainly filled their cabin. So, I'm wondering if any of you guys are having the same sound experience as I am before and after said fadder/louder adjustments???
Old 05-01-2017, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C200 Coupe AMG
Hey flycaster i encountred the same problem on my E(W213) with the burmeister whenever i enabled surround sound i felt the sound was always coming from the front Center speaker on the dashboard try disabling the surround option or check if its in the "all" postion i found it's better disabled.
What i also found is the "burmeister speakers" are just H&K speakers tuned by Burmeister.
although i do not have them on my C coupe i did install tweeters and a center amplifier which greatly improved the sound quality and Volume if i may say it's even better than the burmeister.

Last edited by Khazen; 05-01-2017 at 01:37 PM.
Old 05-08-2017, 01:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 E CLASS COUPE 350
I turned "off" the surround sound option...made a HUGE different...great sound quality now
Old 05-09-2017, 10:27 AM

I tried shifting to stereo, and there was a difference in sound, but I'm not quite sure just what that difference was. As you know my qualm is that I don't appreciate most of the sound apparently coming from the center speaker and not being able to "move" the sound experience to an overhead position, rather than the "quality" of sound. Nonetheless, using stereo, the fader set to the rear and sound source from the rear, it does seems that stereo may aid in getting the sound off the center front speaker a ittle better than surround sound. But, bottom line is that this system sucks when compared to just about any mediocre system.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E220 2013
Everyone for him/herself but as a stereo guy I have to point out that what you always chase is actually front stage i.e. you want to have the feeling that the sound comes from the band playing on your hood. "Surround" will give you a warm fuzzt feeling but never a good presence in the music. Think about when you are on a concert and if the sound came from above your head instead of from the stage.... That said I am that kind of guy that always tear everything looking like a stock speaker out of my new cars and replace them with proper speakers. Will tear my new w213 down next weekend
Old 05-17-2017, 12:00 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 CLA 250 4Matic Black
I found that the Fader set to -7 rear biased did a good job, but I have since moved it to -5.
That is with the Surround Activated.
Different sources seems to be an issue with this head unit. It has difficulty in sorting out the soundstage for HD Radio, Sat, and CDs.

I tried one of my AIX CDs and it actually sounded better than in my sedan. AIX is a High Definition Audio company and the sound engineer is a big 5.1 fan so with the Surround turned on its truly amazing.

Age does play a part in how you perceive the sound but also a simple thing like the seating position... too close to the front and you won't hear the rear
Old 05-17-2017, 08:47 AM

Agreed about your "different sources" observation. And, as for loudness, I'm thinking that since Burmeister tuned the system, they must have set things to be optimal at a certain loudness. I'm thinking this as when I calibrated my home surround sound system using an Avia disc, I had to calibrate to a certain dB level.