Tried DIY oil change and immediately failed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 08:23 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
2017 C300 Coupe, 2013 Cadillac ATS 2.0T
Tried DIY oil change and immediately failed

Wanted to do my first oil change on the coupe, but had trouble unhooking the air intake and didn't want to break anything, so I wound up with my indy tech doing the job. Too embarrassed to ask him to show me how to do it as it would mean taking business away from him. Anyway, I think I figured out how to depress the top clip of the forward part of the intake, but I wasn't sure were the second clip was located. I think it was at the bottom of the intake, but then couldn't figure out how to depress it??? And, while we are at it, would appreciate further direction on how to unclip/depress and where the other intake clips are??? Once it get these bits and pieces off, I do know how to vac out the oil and replace the filter. Thanks for you help
Old 12-25-2018, 09:58 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2013 C300 Sport 4Matic (M276)
Hey flycaster, I am attaching some photos of when I did my oil change for the first time 2 months ago. I also added numbers to the photos. 1 = end of the air intake tube piece, 2 = middle clip of the air intake tube, & 3 = entrance of the air intake tube piece. When I was removing this piece to gain more access to the oil filter, for the first time I should add, I tilted (3) backwards a bit and pulled gently till it came off, I then squeezed (1) until I was able to move it to the right side. (2) was a major headache for me as I wasn't sure how to unclip it. Luckily though I kept rotating the (2) clip and loosened it out with a microfiber cloth & some pliers and the whole air intake tube came out! I took photos of the (2) clip so you can see the sweet spot of it being able to get loose and free the piece out from the car. Next time I do the oil change I'll work from 3 to 2 to 1. Hope this helps, Merry Christmas!

Air Intake Clip/Plastic Tabs (Angle 1)

Air Intake Clip/Plastic Tabs (Angle 2)

Clip 2 (Angle 1)

Clip 2 (Angle 2)

Clip 2 (Angle 3)
Old 12-30-2018, 08:42 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
2017 C300 Coupe, 2013 Cadillac ATS 2.0T
Would have responded earlier, but was away on vacation. Anyway, very nice DIY. I chickened out and had my indy do it a while back, but your DIY will certainly help me and others do this easy job ourselves. Hate to pay MB the stupidly big bucks they get for such a simple job.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:31 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2013 C300 Sport 4Matic (M276)
You're welcome!