2018 C300 Coupe with Multimedia Package......but no Smart Phone integration :(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 12:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 C300 Coupe Designo
2018 C300 Coupe with Multimedia Package......but no Smart Phone integration :(

Hi guys,

So the other day, I walked out of a dealer with an amazing price on a Designo styled C300 coupe in metallic grey matte finish. Absolutely beautiful inside and out. Couldn't be happier except for one thing.......there's no Smart Phone integration capability (ie no Apple CarPlay).

For some reason, I thought the smart phone integration was standard now on all Mercedes. Apparently not the case most of the time for cars that have the Multimedia package installed.......so my ignorance was at fault here. My main question is......does anyone know if it's at all possible to somehow enable the Smart Phone integration with the upgraded COMMAND/Multimedia package? Really missing that Apple Carplay!

Thanks!
Old 03-20-2018, 04:53 AM

Received 87 Likes on 83 Posts
2017 C43 AMG Saloon
To the best of my knowledge they are mutually exclusive. Maybe on the 2019s things will change, but for now it's a no go.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:57 PM

2018 C300 Coupe Designo
Originally Posted by guhvies
To the best of my knowledge they are mutually exclusive. Maybe on the 2019s things will change, but for now it's a no go.
This is just absolutely insane. I get the "upgraded" package with better screen and touchpad and in exchange lose any potential for Carplay integration? Now I'm stuck with sub-par bluetooth streaming for the next 3 years? Just can not believe I have zero options to fix this and add car play.

Anyone have any engineering contacts so I can see if a retrofit upgrade may be in the pipeline? Theres gotta be an option here.....
Old 03-20-2018, 02:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
clk55
Originally Posted by cphil19
This is just absolutely insane. I get the "upgraded" package with better screen and touchpad and in exchange lose any potential for Carplay integration? Now I'm stuck with sub-par bluetooth streaming for the next 3 years? Just can not believe I have zero options to fix this and add car play.

Anyone have any engineering contacts so I can see if a retrofit upgrade may be in the pipeline? Theres gotta be an option here.....
That sucks man, I just got my 2018 w/o multimedia package and it has the CarPlay which I didn't even know about, like u I also thought this was standard, so if it didn't have it I wouldn't even know it's available. But I'm sure there is a way to make it happen, from what I know it's not a hard thing to do. Call the dealer see what they say.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:49 PM

2018 C300 Coupe Designo
Originally Posted by Bmwr1d3h
That sucks man, I just got my 2018 w/o multimedia package and it has the CarPlay which I didn't even know about, like u I also thought this was standard, so if it didn't have it I wouldn't even know it's available. But I'm sure there is a way to make it happen, from what I know it's not a hard thing to do. Call the dealer see what they say.
Yeah called multiple dealers and customer center. Apparently the multimedia package has COMAND NTG 5.5 which they say is just completely non compatible. You have to remove all hardware associated, ie the screen, console, touchpad, usb dash.....everything. Absolutely mind boggling. I’m on the verge of taking a 10k hit in depreciation and just trade it. Seems like this can never be solved.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
clk55
Originally Posted by cphil19

Yeah called multiple dealers and customer center. Apparently the multimedia package has COMAND NTG 5.5 which they say is just completely non compatible. You have to remove all hardware associated, ie the screen, console, touchpad, usb dash.....everything. Absolutely mind boggling. I’m on the verge of taking a 10k hit in depreciation and just trade it. Seems like this can never be solved.
wow yea man that sucks, I cant believe they would even consider that. Command is trash I've had it in other cars. Not that CarPlay doesn't have its downsides but that's insane how it's not even doable. Like I said, i got lucky if the car didn't have it i wouldn't even know it was an option.

i say just stick with the car it's not worth taking a hit for CarPlay. It's nice at first but now I don't even plug my phone in unless I need navi.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:47 PM

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
MBenz C205 250d
Bit ignorant here but what are the advantages of CarPlay over command? I have command+ I can connect to Spotify via Bluetooth no probs I can also connect to music on my iPhone 8 I can send messages via Siri. As I said am I missing something?