Any experience with the folding mesh wind deflector?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A205 C180 & R170 200K
Question Any experience with the folding mesh wind deflector?

I am a new proud owner of the A205 and while the car is great overall, I find that there is too much cold draught in the cabin when cruising with the top down, especially compared to my SLK R170. In the SLK, the only wind I can feel is in my hair, but in the C class there is a constant cold draught around my arms and face, no matter how I set up aircon or the AIRCAP. I'm considering buying the mesh wind deflector, but I'd first like to hear some personal experience, since the part is quite expensive and requires drilling in the rear side pannels...

This is what I'm talking about
https://www.ebay.com/p/Genuine-MERCE...olet/596748336

Thanks in advance.

Unrelated: shouldn't the forum title be "C-Class Coupe (C205) and Convertible (A205)" ?
Old 09-05-2018, 09:02 AM

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
2018 C43 Cabriolet
I've had my c43 cabrio since March and luckily experienced the driest summer ever , which enabled me to drive top down almost constantly. I've driven both city and highway ( 100km/h and up ) and have never experienced more wind buffeting than I expected in the front . The rear passengers get a whole different experience !! . I do raise the windows when on the highway , which makes a huge difference in both the front and rear .
I did hear from rear passengers that the AIRCAP reduced noise and buffeting significantly .
Regarding the title of this forum ,I complained about this last year in a post ,but whoever is in charge has NOT made the change . Its a shame because its such a simple , logical addition and would help more cabrio owners to navigate the forums . It would also be consistent with all the other forums .
Old 09-05-2018, 09:17 AM

A205 C180 & R170 200K
Thanks for the answer. Maybe I wouldn't notice anything wrong either if not for the the SLK. I don't mind the little bit of air in my face when the weather is nice and especially with the windows up I can barely feel it, but below ~16°C at higher speeds (>80km/h) the cold draft becomes uncomfortable, which isn't the case with the SLK. And it's coming around the front seats from behind, that's why I think the mesh wind deflector (standard on the SLK) could help.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:09 AM

A205 C180 & R170 200K
I visited the dealer today and they surprised me - according to the official docs the mesh wind deflector cannot be installed on cars equipped with AIRCAP. I can't think of a good reason other than marketing, but will do more research.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:44 PM

c 300 cabriolet
My car is a c 300 convertible and equipped with the so called air cap system ! Owned a SLK before and did not experience the air flow in the cabin as with the air cap system on my c300 ! I was not happy at all and decided to install the mesh wind deflector . The Mercedes dealer in my home town installed the OEM deflector for less than 400 € ; my wife ( always concerned about her hair ) was delighted and said it was the best investment ever ! What a huge difference compared to the air cap system that I would classify as “ complete marketing rubbish “ and totally ineffective!
Old 10-04-2019, 10:11 AM

E350 Convertible
I had a fold-able wind deflector in an E350 for 5 years and it makes highway driving much more enjoyable then the pop-up rear deflector. We rarely had a need for the rear seats so it was kept on the car most of the time. I just picked up a 2019 C43 Cabriolet and was surprised the door holes are not drilled from the factory. I'm having my local dealer drill the holes and ordered the wind deflector; $1000. Yes that's a crazy price but the over the seats wind deflector allows top down driving even when it's cold outside by restricting even more airflow around arms and shoulders then the standard deflectors. It's a must have in my experience.