C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Coolant Leak... Waterpump?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant Leak... Waterpump?

I replaced my thermostat last week due to overheating. This fixed the over heating problem but now... my car leaks all the coolant out when it is left shut off over night. It only happens after the car is sitting parked in my driveway for a while. every morning I have been putting more coolant in just to get to work and it doesnt leak unless its sitting for a while.

I beleive I have pin pointed it with pictures. I still think it has to do with me replacing the thermostat b/c it didnt leak before that, but my engine did overheat the day the old stat went out so maybe that caused it.

I have attached pics of the problem area, there is a little puddle of water/coolant in the red circles, the last picture shows it best. I see the liquid dripping but its difficult to see from where exactly. Let me know what you guys think.

Old 08-09-2005, 09:08 PM

same problem

Hey There-

I have a coolant leak also on my 96 C280. I am a member of www.mercedesforum.com and have posted pics that are almost identical to yours. Go to the site and search "water pump leak" and choose the one that has the user name "gte811f". Search button at the top of page. You'll get some good info.

In my case, I got a small mirror and found that the leak was coming from a drain hole on the underneath side of the pump. Then, I found out that it was the water pump seal. According to one of the members, sleepwalker, it is easier to replace pump than seal.

Hope this helps.

I still haven't replaced mine but plan on doing it sometime next week. I will be taking pics of the whole thing so if you decide to tackle the job yourself and you get to it before I do I'd appreciate any advice otherwise I can send you pics and info. I'll probably set up one of those free geocities websites will all the info. Contact me directly if you are interested.

jason_chafin@hotmail.com

Please include "C280" in the subject line of the email, otherwise it will go to junk folder.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:20 PM

C280
I had the same symptoms, with coolant pooling in the same location. It was the water pump seal, and I replaced the whole pump.