C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

LED Bulbs For Gauge Cluster

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LED Bulbs For Gauge Cluster

I have a 96 C280 and had to recently replace a bunch of bulbs in my instrument cluster. As I was doing the job I began to wonder if there are LED bulbs that would replace the stock bulbs from the dealership. I don't know the type of bulb in the cluster (I just asked the guy at the dealership for the replacement bulbs and used what he gave me)

Does anyone know what LED bulbs would replace the stock bulbs for this application? Also where do I get them if they are in fact available.

Thanks in advance guys

Mike
Old 10-31-2005, 05:57 PM

2000 C230K Sport
When I picked up my 2000 C230, a bunch of my LEDs were out. My odometer was missing lines on a lot of the numbers. My temperature gauge was completely unlit when I turned on my headlights. The gear indicator didn't work at all and the temperature LEDs were impossible to read. That said, I told the dealer it was a condition of purchase that they get this working.

They didn't replace any bulbs in it. They ordered an entire new cluster programmed to my car and got it installed. Now everything works great. However they ate the cost of about $1000 for the cluster.

So I'm not sure if you can replace LEDs in the cluster. Maybe you can with the back lights for the gauges, but I'm not sure about digital read outs.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E300
If you do replace with LED's, no control of dimming.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:32 PM

Doesn't Matter

I don't use the dimming feature on the cluster anyway so that is no loss to me. But I really want to put the LED bulbs in my cluster and make it brighter
Old 11-20-2005, 12:27 PM

ok, yea i did this and it works great, i just have to find a pic to show you,

ok, yes wen i took my cluster apart, some if the lights stopped working, like the one in the temp. gauge, the RPM gauge, what i did is i pulled out the light bulb and keep twisting it side ways untill it lit up, all it is is a bad connection, and have your lights on wen your working on this, also i came across this when i was changing the face on the gauges, like from the stock black ones you normally see, to the AMG ones, ill show you what im talking about but u guys need to help me on posting pix up here becuase im new to this site. thanks!