C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

replace battery?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
replace battery?

Perhaps I am a fool but I let my 96 C220 sit for 3 months without attention. It ran great prior to sitting -- no particular problems. When I went to start it yesterday -- Dead! So I jumped it and let it run about an hour. Figured that would suffice. Shut it down. Tried to restart -- Dead!

I don't know how old the battery is, it may be original to the car for all I know as I am the second owner. Hasn't been replaced in the 3 years I've had it anyway.

Is there some sort of special battery the car needs, or will a good quality one from Autozone do the trick?

Also are there any particular tricks to putting a new one in?

Thanks all.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mitsubishi Outlander 2012 AWD
Any good 450 amp hour battery should work Sears is good when staring need to initialize steering angle sensor (turn wheel lock to lock) code radio/synchronize sunroof(push button up and hold) and synchronize windows thats all
Old 01-22-2006, 11:01 AM

windows?

What does synchronize windows mean? Forgive my ignorance.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:42 AM

Well when you cut the power, you will notice afterwards that your auto-up/down feature for the windows doesn't work. Its very simple;

1) Lower window manually using the button.
2) Raise window manually using button.
3) Hold the button in the "raise" position for a few seconds after its reached the top.
4) Repeat for other windows.
5) Enjoy your auto up/down function again
Old 01-22-2006, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by KarlBenz
Any good 450 amp hour battery should work Sears is good when staring need to initialize steering angle sensor (turn wheel lock to lock) code radio/synchronize sunroof(push button up and hold) and synchronize windows thats all
I haven't had to change mine yet (knock on wood), but I would just go to sears. If you go to the auto area, I'm pretty sure that they can look it up in their computer. Or, if you go to thier website, you can do it there and call ahead.
Old 01-29-2006, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 C32, 2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2007 Harley NightRod, 2013 Harley Road Glide Custom
Originally Posted by jimsaco
Perhaps I am a fool but I let my 96 C220 sit for 3 months without attention. It ran great prior to sitting -- no particular problems. When I went to start it yesterday -- Dead! So I jumped it and let it run about an hour. Figured that would suffice. Shut it down. Tried to restart -- Dead!

I don't know how old the battery is, it may be original to the car for all I know as I am the second owner. Hasn't been replaced in the 3 years I've had it anyway.

Is there some sort of special battery the car needs, or will a good quality one from Autozone do the trick?

Thanks all.
Before you replace the battery, the next time it's jumped, check the voltage
across the battery when it's at idle. I think it should be around 14.3 volts. I'd
see if the alternator is working properly before changing the battery.

To answer the question, it's easy to replace. You can do it yourself. I have
Sears Diehard International battery and it's fine. Just make sure you have the
piece to vent the battery outside the lower trunk area.
Old 02-04-2006, 04:58 PM

thanks

Put in a new battery from Advance Auto -- at a good price. All seems to be in order -- windows and sunroof all work etc. Been driving it the last week and runs like a charm. Thanks to all.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:14 AM

C200 Kompressor
Great post!

Thanks for this information!

I was having strange problems a couple of days ago (windows, ESP/BAS warning light) and suddenly my battery went dead. After I replaced the battery yesterday the ESP/BAS seems to be ok, but the windows, arghh.... (

I never thought that windows had to be synchronized!

Originally Posted by JOESID
Well when you cut the power, you will notice afterwards that your auto-up/down feature for the windows doesn't work. Its very simple;

3) Hold the button in the "raise" position for a few seconds after its reached the top.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:18 AM

1998 Mercedes C230 Elegance
Originally Posted by JOESID

THANK YOU! You are a lifesaver.

Oh, and hello MB World - first post!
Old 11-26-2007, 08:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jimsaco

Thanks all.
You very well may not need to replace your battery. First, what kind of battery is it? If it is a original MB battery, it probably has serviceable cells. If one or more have dried up, you may be able to save your battery by simply refilling all of the cells with distilled water and charging the battery (a battery charger is a good thing to have anyway). If it is a service-free sealed battery, you can simply try charging it and see if that helps, since it may be your alternator anyway, in which case a new battery would be a waste...