C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Spark plug R&R on 97 C230

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spark plug R&R on 97 C230

Howdy all,

Finally getting around to some maintenance on this C230 and ran right into trouble changing spark plugs. Could be simple, but being this is the first German car I've owned I'm not familiar with their construction quirks. Anyone out there been through this procedure themselves and mind sharing tips & techniques? Plugs 2 & 4 have coils attached to them and the others have what appear to be screw in wire harnesses. I have a subscription to AllDataDIY but their docs don't have anything on an R&R process. Thanks in advance for any info provided.

Best regards,

Steve
Old 02-19-2006, 09:59 AM

Its really easy, I did mine on my Kompressor a few months ago. It's basically the same engine. Just take off that top covering ( I think you have to take that air tubing off as well). Then just unbolt the two coil packs and lift. The harness's just pull/twist off of the other two. It took me about 35 min to do it. Just make sure you use the right plugs and torque them correctly.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:07 AM

'Morning, Joesid,

Thx for the quick reply. When pulling/twisting the plug covers off the two non-coil plugs, I take it that it's a left hand twist and pull at the same time? Also, I noticed in the AllDataDIY docs that there's a spark plug seal that may need replacing. Is this required with each plug change? I see from other posts that a bad seal can cause performance problems.

Steve
Old 02-19-2006, 10:51 AM

For the non-coil you dont actually have to twist, it just helps. And when I took my cover off, to my surprise I found a small puddle of oil near one of the plugs. It appears it was one of those seals. I bought one online and replaced it, haven't checked it yet to see.....
To remove all four seals you need to take off the camshaft cover. There are the bolts that go around the perimeter. I changed my plugs at arou nd 81k, I'm at 84k now. I'm going to change them again at 100k (only $4 each). When I do that I will change all four seals and the seal on the camshaft cover. Those seals are a PAIN to remove AND install. They are contain a metal ring that gets pushed into the underside of the camshaft cover. Its extrememly hard to get a nice snug fit.

The whole job is kind of a joke. I have never even changed my own oil but found this to be extremely easy. I just dont understand how a dealer can charge 300+ for something like this...
Old 02-19-2006, 10:53 AM

**** I reread your post, and no the seal does not have to be replaced to do the plugs. In fact, the seals are not even touched when you replace the plugs. If you dont see any leaking oil then I wouldnt worry about it.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:07 AM

Thank you very much, that clears it up for me.

Have a great weekend,
Steve