C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Advice request: 99 C230K or 97 E320?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 02:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Audi A3
Advice request: 99 C230K or 97 E320?

Greetings all. This is a request for advice from those of you who may have experience with one or both of these MB models. Which vehicle do you think would be a better buy if I want a solid used MB as a second car--a 1999 C230 Kompressor or a 1997 E320? The size of the car is not a big factor for me; I'm concerned mainly with reliability and handling. I like the C230K for its mpg ratings, but from what I've read the E320 may have a more solid reliability rating. I must admit I prefer the looks of the C230; it has a certain timeless-looking design I appreciate. Thoughts?
Much appreciated.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:08 AM

2000 CLK 430 Coupe
Originally Posted by JayhawkerEric
Greetings all. This is a request for advice from those of you who may have experience with one or both of these MB models. Which vehicle do you think would be a better buy if I want a solid used MB as a second car--a 1999 C230 Kompressor or a 1997 E320? The size of the car is not a big factor for me; I'm concerned mainly with reliability and handling. I like the C230K for its mpg ratings, but from what I've read the E320 may have a more solid reliability rating. I must admit I prefer the looks of the C230; it has a certain timeless-looking design I appreciate. Thoughts?
Much appreciated.
I drive a 1999 C43 and my brother has a 1997 E320, and I test drove a 1999 C230k before purchasing the C43.

Handling "goodness" is subjective. That said, in my opinion, the entertainment and safety factor for the handling of any of these cars are more than good enough. They all give a very confident feeling under a variety of driving conditions, from smooth everyday driving to panic situations to horsing around on an empty on-ramp. The E320 is perhaps not as nimble as the C Class, yet the C Class does not feel as well-planted as the E Class. In both cases, though, both cars hold their own very well.

In terms of reliability: considering the age of either car, the frequency of repair will probably have as much to do with their life experience as they do with their design. Hopefully they have been faithfully maintained and not irresponsibly subject to severe operating conditions. In the case of our cars, the E320 has had a variety of small problems (seat and window motors, door locks), while the C43 has only been to the shop for maintenance and one major repair: the crankshaft sensor. The E320 has about 10k more miles than the C43.

On the more intangible front: the E320 is based on a more modern and upscale platform (W210). In my opinion, it feels far more luxurious and solid, and the interior detailing is part of what justifies the initial purchase price difference. 1997, if I recall correctly, is the last year in which the in-line 6 cylinder engine was used, and it is a honey of an engine.

I agree that the W202 looks great, and with the proper detailing, avoids the "entry-level" look very well. I've had friends at work ask my how I afford the "big Benz." One thing to consider, in my opinion, is that the W210 can receive a major face-lift in the form of replacing the headlights with projector units. You can see a number of these in the W210 and E55 galleries.

Bottom line, you probably can't lose either way. If nimbleness and fuel efficiency are your priorities, it is likely the C230K is reliable, comfortable, and enduring enough. If you like the luxury, solidness, and comfort of the E320, you will likely be surprised by the sportiness of its handling and sweet revving engine.

Good luck with your choice.

Regards,

e harmon
Old 02-19-2006, 12:51 PM
Almost a Member!

1999 W202 C230 Kompressor Sport
I love my '99 C230K. it's the sport model, so its suspension is a bit stiffer, but still better than my old toyota. my parents own a 99 E320 4matic wagon, and they've had nothing but problems with it. in my opinion, the c230 is much more bulletproof than the E-klasse. only thing to watch out for are tranny problems. just my 2¢
Old 02-19-2006, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 BMW Z4 sDrive35i M Sport
For me that wouldn't even be a choice. I would take the 230k hands down. The E 320 will probably feel weak compared to the 230k because of the weight/power ratio. The handling will be better in the 230k, especially if it's a Sport model. Everyday "Fun to drive" factor will easily be in the 230k's favor as well. Plus, and I'm biased, the w210 is ugly w/o Sport package or AMG package.
Old 02-19-2006, 03:53 PM

2006 Audi A3
Thanks very much for these useful replies.
Indeed, 1997 was the last year for that sweet 6 in the E320, and that's why I had my eye on it (that, and the typical asking price for a 97 is about on par with a 99 C230K and fits my current budget--around 10-12K), yet the E320s I've been in seem to have seats made of solid wood (to be fair, the MB's my family had while I was growing up had extremely firm seats, too). When I first saw the "Sport" C230s in pictures, I didn't think I would like them since they gave up wood accents for what I think is faux carbon fiber, but when I was able to see one up close, and also see the unique guage cluster, I changed my mind--it's really pretty cool. Too, I think that for where I live, in the mountains, the smaller, lighter-weight C230K might be more suitable for zooming through the passes and so on. The fun part (or maybe the "fun" part if I'm not careful) will be the shopping around.
Old 02-19-2006, 05:12 PM

2000 CLK 430 Coupe
Originally Posted by davis449
For me that wouldn't even be a choice. I would take the 230k hands down. The E 320 will probably feel weak compared to the 230k because of the weight/power ratio. The handling will be better in the 230k, especially if it's a Sport model. Everyday "Fun to drive" factor will easily be in the 230k's favor as well. Plus, and I'm biased, the w210 is ugly w/o Sport package or AMG package.
Coming from someone who drives a C43 and has significant seat and passenger time in an E320, here's my opinion: the E320's drivetrain is more than up to the task for every driving situation I have experienced while driving or riding in it. It is a very satisfying drive. For those who put credence in them, the instrumented testing results on Mercedes's own site gives the edge in acceleration to the E320 (0-60 in 6.9 or 7.1, if I recall correctly). If it "feels" weaker, it might be because of how smoothly it works. I made this observation when I first drove a W211 E500, compare to my ride at the time, a chipped A4 1.8T. No question the A4 could barely keep the E500 in sight, but it felt faster with the rush of turbo torque against an arguably less refined platform.

That said, everyone has different priorities and thresholds. Again, good luck to the OP on your choice. I still think you can't really make a bad one.

Regards,

e harmon