C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

MBTECH208- Whats this I hear about moving the mass air..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2001, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 C230K
MBTECH208- Whats this I hear about moving the mass air..

closer to the throttle body for better performance. Is this true. How much is this mod?

Gary
Old 12-13-2001, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KLEEMANN C230K
Cheap mod....

This mod fixes a problem of turbulence at the point of entry in the MAF. It is only prevelent in about 25% of the "up until '99" 230k cars. The effect of the turbulence is a "shudder" at around 3200-3500 rpm at about 1/2-3/4 throttle. To fix it you need only buy a new pipe, I believe you need to cut a couple inches off one end, you can get the info from Brandon at Kleemann.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 C230 Kompressor Sedan (W202)
Interested in knowing more about the C230K MAF MOD

Hello,

I'm new to this Forum and a first-time Benz owner as of last week....

I purchased a SWEET 2000 C230 Kompressor Sedan with 15K original, documented miles. The car is in "like new" condition. So, naturally, I'm planning on keeping this car for hopefully many, many years.

And, of course, I'm already looking into upgrades & modifications. And the most significant upgrades that I've read about, so far, for my particular model is the pulley upgrade. I've corresponded with Lee at ASP racing who informed me that because my car is a pre-May 2000 build I will need to also need to install cooler spark plugs and a 3-rail fuel pressure regulator when I do the pulley upgrade. Apparently MB change over the CPU post May of 2000 as the CPU in those cars can make the necessary adjustments - negating the need for the cooler spark plugs and 3 rail fuel pressure regulator.

Now...here's my point behind all of this - He also suggested (as I've read elsewhere) that I relocate the Mass Air Flow sensor. I've read in other forums that this modification alone will make a big difference in the driving characteristics (i.e. smoother crisper engine response) of the C230 Kompressor.

Until I can get around to doing the pulley upgrade, I'd like to do the Mass Air Flow modification now.

Is there anyone that can give me to the DETAILED information I need to do this MAF MOD?

Any info and guidance would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Mark
Old 08-28-2018, 08:04 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 S550 4MATIC

Last edited by merc.man; 08-28-2018 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Wrong thread..
Old 08-30-2018, 04:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 139 Likes on 135 Posts
02w163ML500 / 97w210E50AMG / 99w202C230k / 95w124500e-wip
Originally Posted by BenzManNow
Hello,

I'm new to this Forum and a first-time Benz owner as of last week....

I purchased a SWEET 2000 C230 Kompressor Sedan with 15K original, documented miles. The car is in "like new" condition. So, naturally, I'm planning on keeping this car for hopefully many, many years.

And, of course, I'm already looking into upgrades & modifications. And the most significant upgrades that I've read about, so far, for my particular model is the pulley upgrade. I've corresponded with Lee at ASP racing who informed me that because my car is a pre-May 2000 build I will need to also need to install cooler spark plugs and a 3-rail fuel pressure regulator when I do the pulley upgrade. Apparently MB change over the CPU post May of 2000 as the CPU in those cars can make the necessary adjustments - negating the need for the cooler spark plugs and 3 rail fuel pressure regulator.

Now...here's my point behind all of this - He also suggested (as I've read elsewhere) that I relocate the Mass Air Flow sensor. I've read in other forums that this modification alone will make a big difference in the driving characteristics (i.e. smoother crisper engine response) of the C230 Kompressor.

Until I can get around to doing the pulley upgrade, I'd like to do the Mass Air Flow modification now.

Is there anyone that can give me to the DETAILED information I need to do this MAF MOD?

Any info and guidance would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Mark
BenzManNow, black99,

For the MAF mod, do a search here on this forum 'MAF relocation' or on the R170 roadster forum or similar over at MBworld under the same forums. Lots of info and how-to on the oem part # bag required and photos.
The search button is your best friend as many of the vets owning w202s have moved on here so you wont get responses as quickly than you doing a simple search.
The low-cost MAF relocation works well and removes the 'dead spot' in the mid-range rpms - MAF is relocated next to the throttle body. There is LOTS of reading material from many experienced members (past and present)
that have pretty much answered any questions that you may have on your w202 - just use the search button. Read and ye shall find.

As for a pulley kit upgrade, Speer has one on fleabay - you can read up on his kit - well documented here and on the other forums....it's inexpensive and you can DIY as an initial upgrade without the additional changes you mentioned in your post.

Old 04-06-2019, 12:06 AM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Sold 06 CLS500. SL550 09. SL550 2013. Own C6 Corvette heavily customized garage queen 2005.
Congrats Wolfman, I may go the same route..waiting to hear when you have time about the ride difference over say 100 miles or so. What you going to do about tire replacement if at all? What did they come with? Anyway, enjoy......................