C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

ABS failure or Suspension problem???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2002, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 C230
ABS failure or Suspension problem???

i have this problem:

while driving the car at around 10mph and hit the brake hard. the car's front wheel keep bobbing until come to complete stop.

I read some article that ABS will pump 20-30 times/second to prevent wheel lock-up.

is the front wheel bobbing caused by the ABS failure or the stock shock needs to be replaced?

if it is the shock, can i just replace the broken one, or pair on same axel, or all four corners?

ABS system on mine is fine...
Old 08-09-2002, 11:42 PM

'96 C220
Hey, speaking of ABS.. anybody know what would cause the ABS malfunction light to come on if I have a heavy load in the trunk??

I use sand bags in the Winter to get some wait on the back wheels and it causes ABS to turn off. I'm assuming it's the rear sensor, but I don't know why.
Old 08-10-2002, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1996 C36 AMG, 1995 Volvo 850 Turbowagon
1997 seems a little early for shock failure. one easy way to test if it is the front shocks is to bounce the front of the car up and down urself (careful not to dent the hood or something ). if the car just goes up and down endlessly, then something failed in the shocks (either wear or puncture or bent, etc). u should replace the fronts as a set, if the rears are fine, wait till they wear out to replace, will save u some money.

if something was the matter with the brakes, it "should" be felt as a vibration or shudder in the frame...
Old 08-12-2002, 04:11 AM

1997 C230
the bobbing came from left front wheel area, right side is fine.
can't tell it is shudder from frame or the vibiration.

how many times car bounce up and down after sudden press down on the hood qualify as shock failure?
Old 08-12-2002, 10:16 AM

'96 C220
Normal shock path is down, then back up, then back down to level. If it bobs more than this, the shock can be replaced(in pairs!).

But I guess ABS COULD cause the problem, though it would defeat the purpose of ABS. Let's say you get the ride-side wheel to lock up for just a second, that would most likely cause the end of the car to dive or atleast dip but, you'd think you'd notice your steering wheel yank or move atleast.. If the shock is faulty, I guess it could case a bob, which is worse than a dip.

I'll say this, my '96 C220, when I slam on the brakes, it's a serious miracle that the car doesn't auger in right there. It really points down. Though the shocks check out.

Ok, that's my two cents worth. dippidy-dip-bob.
Old 08-12-2002, 01:33 PM

1997 C230
so in conclusion. the bobbing before come to complete stop is casued by shock failure not the ABS. if it is ABS, the lights on dashboard should come on as well. is it correct?

thanks for the help!
Old 08-12-2002, 02:37 PM

'96 C220
Is it just a bob from the front right side or a porpoise of the car it's self?? I would think that some bobing is normal in a soft suspension car but, maybe not on just one side.

You would think if it's an ABS failure that you would get the indicator light. But, like I said, if the disc is catching, maybe you wouldn't?? I can't say as my brakes have been pretty trouble free as well as the shocks. But, I've got 85,8k on my shocks now and it's probably time for replacements if not just for the rubber mounts.