C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Transmissions / Advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2006 | 11:02 AM

'06 Honda Element
Question Transmissions / Advice

I am thinking about buying my brother's 1997 C230, but I've heard about problems with the 5 speed transmission. I understand that all three models got the 5 speed that year; I was curious if all 3 got the same transmission, and, if so, would it be flawed thinking to believe that the C230 might be less prone to potential problems considering that it has the least amount of horsepower.

I really like the car, and my brother has maintained it exactly as the dealer recommends. It has 85,000 miles, and he is willing to sell it to me for about half of the retail price. I'm also intrigued by the notion of doing a few mods to the car.

If anyone can think of anything I might need to consider before I make my decision, I would really appreciate the input!

Thanks
Old 06-27-2006 | 02:28 AM
Almost a Member!

Elegance
Originally Posted by willengage
I am thinking about buying my brother's 1997 C230, but I've heard about problems with the 5 speed transmission. I understand that all three models got the 5 speed that year; I was curious if all 3 got the same transmission, and, if so, would it be flawed thinking to believe that the C230 might be less prone to potential problems considering that it has the least amount of horsepower.

I really like the car, and my brother has maintained it exactly as the dealer recommends. It has 85,000 miles, and he is willing to sell it to me for about half of the retail price. I'm also intrigued by the notion of doing a few mods to the car.

If anyone can think of anything I might need to consider before I make my decision, I would really appreciate the input!

Thanks
Always the box can be repaired + the car for half of cost. An excellent variant.
Old 06-28-2006 | 09:37 AM

99 C43 ///AMG
If you're getting it for half the cost and its been maintained, I wouldnt let the transmission issue bug me too much. If it goes it goes...you did pay half of what the cars worth so it would make up for the repair I guess.

Make sure the tranny fluid is changed....