C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

speaker upgrade 2 or 4ohm?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
speaker upgrade 2 or 4ohm?

In need of your guidance once again.
Pardon me if I may sound redundant and please redirect this to a more appropriate part of these forums if need be.
I searched the forums and can't find direct answers.
I would like to replace my stock door speakers, and would like to know if i should get 2ohm rated speakers or 4ohm? Which is the simplest (and cheapest) option? I would like to do this project myself, but I don't much about electrical stuff so I would like to keep my stock wiring. I saw at Crutchfield.com Infinity Kappas are the only ones rated 2ohm. What other brands are out there?
I asked one audio shop, and the guy said if I want to replace my stock speakers, I need to rewire from the head unit. BTW, I have an Alpine HU.
Excuse my rambling. Thanks for your help.

Old 07-25-2006, 08:02 PM

depends on you headunit/amp

if you are running it via your alpine unit, the speaker outputs are more likely 4ohm, so 4ohm speakers would be needed to avoid mismatched termination ie. headunit putiing out 4ohms, and you put 2ohm speakers on the other end. Causes a small loss in quality or sound, may damage speakers in a long run or head unit. If you are running it off a seperate amp, then check if the amp has a 2ohm stable, and if it is then get 2ohm speakers, Bottom line most car audio is 4ohm unless upper end products
Old 07-26-2006, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by nzbadboy
if you are running it via your alpine unit, the speaker outputs are more likely 4ohm, so 4ohm speakers would be needed to avoid mismatched termination ie. headunit putiing out 4ohms, and you put 2ohm speakers on the other end. Causes a small loss in quality or sound, may damage speakers in a long run or head unit. If you are running it off a seperate amp, then check if the amp has a 2ohm stable, and if it is then get 2ohm speakers, Bottom line most car audio is 4ohm unless upper end products
Badboy,
Thanks for responding.
Let me see if I understood you. Currently, I am running stock Bose speakers from my Alpine HU. Because all I did was plug the Alpine HU to the wiring harness. Does this mean, my stock speakers are powered by the amp in the trunk? If so, then I can just replace my stock speakers with 2ohm ones?
Or do I rewire new speakers, direct to the Alpine, bypassing the amp in the trunk?

Thanks mate
Old 07-30-2006, 03:00 AM

mmm

Well, check the speakers that u are removing right, if they are 2ohm just replace them with 2ohm speakers. basically, u will need to use the same resistance (2ohm or 4ohm) that the output of the amp is. Wish i was just there to check and help you out, cos its bit hard 2 explain. If the bose u removed were 2ohm and u just gona do a simple transplant, then replace with 2ohms, If u plan on rewiring thru the HU then chek the output of the HU and replace with that. It doesnt mean if you buy 2ohm or 4ohm, that the sound will sound better, all the 2ohm and 4ohm is there for, is info on what type of amp it connects to. As an external amp in your boot or the built in amp in your HU, THEY MUST MATCH!!!! 4ohm in = 4ohm out or 2ohm in = 2ohm out. hope that helps