C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Premium Gasoline Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2002, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 C230
Premium Gasoline Issue

As all of you've experienced the cost/gallon of premium gasoline has been hiked to almost $2.00/gallon nationwide recently.

I always fuel up at big name gasoline station like shell, 76, mobil....

recently there is one no-brand gas station opened near by my house, and the price for the same grade (91 premium unlead) is 20 cents /gallon less than the big name gas station. (which will save me almost $3.00 per tank)

is it safe to use their gas? any side effect by using their gasoline?

I've heard some of the big name gas station add the fuel injector detergent to the gas so your car can run smoothly. and that's why their price is higher. but does w202 actually nedd those addtitive?:confused
Old 08-23-2002, 09:56 PM

'96 C220
I ran low grade in my car for about two tanks, not a good idea. Idle was horrible, car just wasn't the same. I've used premimum ever since. Some cars just aren't built to use low grade fuel.
Old 08-25-2002, 04:10 AM

don't settle for less, saving that 20cents, will most likely harm your car and cost you more in the long run. Low quality gasoline from no brand gas stations tend to burn dirtier, may cause engine grime buildup. You should always use Chevron, Mobil, Shell or 76. As those companies use high grade gasoline. Basically, it's you get what you pay for.
Old 08-25-2002, 04:50 AM

1997 C230
back to name-brand gas issue.

I used to work part time during college at a local shell gas station in southern california. I've seen the tanker truck came to fill up the underground tank without shell logo on it. I asked the manager why we didn't buy gas from shell instead of third party. he told me shell hired third party trucking company to transport its product to the gas station. But when I processed the invoice, the invoice was billed by third party no-brand fuel company.

The tanker truck without shell logo always come during midnight to fill up the underground tank while the true shell logo truck come during the day.

I think some of the gas stations purchase fuel from third party to save cost and make more profit on it.

next time when you fill up your tank, if you happen to see a tank truck fill up the underground tank. make sure the truck has the logo on it. if not, i suggest switch to other trusty gas station for your next tank!
Old 09-13-2002, 04:11 PM

w202 C220
Even back when I had my 1991 Honda Civic Si, I always ran 92 octane (that was before it changed to 91 octane), and I always noticed a difference in the car. It ran smoother, faster, quiter, everything. I never put 87 octane in any of my cars, and no way would I put that sh*t in my Benz. Furthermore, I've always been a devoted customer of Chevron, they're gas has never failed me, and my car always seems to run differntly if I use Shell, 76, Mobil, etc.

Super3day:
Where in So Cal do you live? And where do you go to school?
Old 09-14-2002, 01:40 AM

1997 C230
Thanks for the advice! Always use brand-name gasoline.

By the way, I got my MBA in the early 90's, I havn't gone to school for a while. Anyway, I live in LA County.