C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Driver's Side Door Lock

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driver's Side Door Lock

My driver's side door lock just stopped working over the past couple of days. I am thinking it is either the door lock actuator or the vacuum line. My question is this: the lock failed gradually. it started not locking first, but would unlock. Now it will do neither. Has anyone else experienced this...does that description lead anyone to believe it is the actuator or the line? I am trying to narrow it down as much as possible before I tear the door panel off to look. Thanks.

1995 C220
C220benzfan
Old 08-02-2006, 08:12 AM

1995 c220 auto
Does your driver's door lock open and close when you use the key in the passenger door and trunk locks?.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:03 AM

driver's side door lock

Yes...the driver's side door lock will work if I use the key in the passenger side or the trunk. So I guess I see where you are going...if it is working for them then it is probably not the actuator....right? If so is there a vacuum line from the key port to the actuator or is that activated by the key directly into the actutor?
Old 08-02-2006, 06:12 PM

1995 c220 auto
If your locks work as you say it is not the vacuum CL system which is at fault but the mechanical lock on the drivers door, the actuator link rod at the back of the cylinder can wear or come loose, the clevis pin drops out and the lock stops working altogether.
To gain access to the cylinder pull the rubber door seal back adjacent to the lock and you will find a hole,remove the allen screw you find there , pull the lock unit rearwards to detach and remove cautiously making sure that the link rod does not drop inside the door, if it is loose it will be hanging in the internal part of the lock and should be carefully lifted out using long nosed pliers.
Refit the link rod to the external lock using a suitable small split pin, reassemble the lock and hopefully problem solved.
Please let me know how you get on as this is a common problem with these cars and it may be a help to others.
Cheers, Geo.

Last edited by shandy2550; 08-02-2006 at 06:14 PM.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:30 AM

door lock

Okay I will give that a try. The thing is funny though....because this morning I went out and the lock unlocked the door, but it will not lock it. The other times it will do neither. But I will give that a try and see what happens. Thank you and I will let you know how it turns out.

Old 08-12-2006, 12:47 PM

Exclamation Can't figure this out

Okay I went out today to give this thing a look and determined that I cannot locate the allen screw you are talking about. There is a rubber bushing between the door handle and the door, but nothing I can pull up to expose anything because it is compressed by the door handle. I have attached pictures of the door handle to see if it is the same type you are talking about.

If anyone else has any input into how I can get into this door lock to determine why it is not working please chime in.
Attached Thumbnails Driver's Side Door Lock-benz-handle.jpg   Driver's Side Door Lock-benz-handle-2.jpg