C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Looking at the C230K.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking at the C230K.....

Hello. I just joined the forum in hopes of learning a little about the W202 C230 Kompressor. Currently, I drive a 1993 Nissan NX2000 that is heavily modified, but am bored of it and am in the market for a 4dr luxury sedan.

As with my current car, I like to be different with the vehicle I drive, so I usually pick something that not everyone has. Initially, I was looking into getting a 2000 Infinity G20, but availabilty is scarce at a reasonable price. Many friends are pushing me towards BMW, but they all drive BMW's. I am now at Mercedes. The price is right, the looks are great, not many people drive them, but.........there are a few things that make me hesitant to take the plunge.

#1 - No manual transmission. I really wish these came in manual!! On the other hand, I drive in traffic every day, so an automatic would be easier....but boring.

#2 - Reliability. Many of my friends own VW's, and I have as well. I don't know what is wrong with the German's, but they all have electrical gremlins, which really scares me. I can do anything mechanical, but I stay away from electrical.

Now I've come to this site hoping I can get feedback on these vehicles. I have done some extensive research on these vehicles, and the outcome isn't positive. There are a lot of bad reviews with regards to reliability, cost of repairs, etc. Like I said, I can do anything mechanical, but I don't want to spend $100 on an oil filter if I don't have to.

Anyways, enough babbling......can you maybe give me a list of things to look out for when purchasing a 2000 C230K? Any common problems that I should look for? Positives? Negatives?

Thanks a lot everyone, and I look forward to learning more about these cars and helping other people out as well.

Dave

Last edited by SR20DET; 08-28-2006 at 08:37 PM.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 BMW Z4 sDrive35i M Sport
I've heard some stories, but I will tell you that I had no electrical problems with my 1995 C 280 nor my 1999 C 280. The w202 is a great car, just make sure you get the Sport Package if you are looking at buying one, not so much for the suspension, but just for the looks (body color trim, hardly any chrome, etc.). If you are looking at a 1999, you should go ahead and see if you can find a 2000 Special Edition package so you can get the two tone black/white seats with the Steptronic trans (it's not a manual, but it's the right idea). As far as mechanical goes, I had a littel trans. trouble with my 95 (vacuum valve adjustment and eventually replacement) and I've had the TCU (trans. control unit) replaced on my 99 along with a mount. Control arm bushings go out on German cars like clock work around 60K+ miles (this includes VW, Audi, BMW, and Mercedes-Benz). I've heard of more electrical problems with same model year (1999-2000) BMW's than Mercedes'. 2000 especially cause this was only the second production year of the e46 3-Series sedan. Honestly, the best advice I can give you is to try and find the lowest mileage, best-taken-care-of model you possibly can and you should be fine. Oh, and be advised, for your car's health, your gas costs are gonna go up cause, in my experience, Premium Unleaded is the ONLY gas to put in these cars.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:24 PM

Thanks for the tips. As for gas prices, no worries. My Nissan uses 94 Octane and I get about 400kms per 50L tank, so it's not the most fuel efficient vehicle.

I want the sport package, but based on ads of cars I've seen, many don't specify. Externally, what's different? Body coloured mouldings? What about the wheels? Aren't they different as well?
Old 08-29-2006, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 BMW Z4 sDrive35i M Sport
Originally Posted by SR20DET
Thanks for the tips. As for gas prices, no worries. My Nissan uses 94 Octane and I get about 400kms per 50L tank, so it's not the most fuel efficient vehicle.

I want the sport package, but based on ads of cars I've seen, many don't specify. Externally, what's different? Body coloured mouldings? What about the wheels? Aren't they different as well?
Yeah the wheels are different and are 16's as opposed to 15's. Although judging by your Nissan, you probably won't keep the stock rims. I just like the "less chrome" exterior appearance of the Sport package. Plus the front air dam has mesh looking plastic vents that I think look better. The interiors are different as well. The Sports come with white-faced AMG-style guages (that look a **** load better than the classic style of the Elegance models), faux Carbon Fiber trim as opposed to wood (although the wood trim in the Elegance models is REAL), and a few other nuances here and there.

Go on ebaymotors and look in the C-class section, organize by year and then search for "Sport" and you will find nothing but w202's with sport packages pre 2001. That's the easiest way to see the differences between Elegance and Sport exteriors and interirors.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:10 PM

Thanks again for your help. I was looking at Ebay, and I love the interior of the Sports. So much nicer. Exterior has nice subtle touches as well.

I'm hoping to keep this vehicle stock.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:47 AM
Nes

Howzit Dude!!

I just purchased my 98 230 Kompressor sport with an AMG kit. If you want a car that is beautiful, unique and as bulletproof as a Tank then no worries!!

I called up a close relative who works at Mercedes service department and he confirms that these cars have NO issues whatsoever - As long as they were serviced properly! (But then again that goes for every car).

Also, I have a 5spd Manuall?! So I really do not know why it did not come out in your country like that!?!? Usually we get shafted with the good stuff.

All in all...no worries mate. Dooo it! Just dooo it!!