C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

slight coolant leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
slight coolant leak

hey guys, i just bought a beutifal 95 c280 benz. after compounding,handwaxing,armor'alling and everything else i drove it to my work an back and i noticed light smoke coming from under the hood and under the car. after confirming its just coolant leaking from somewhere under the valve cover right near the belt tensioner and the altnernator and getting burned off when it leaks onto the header. the coolant level was only slightly low. and common problems that could be causing this? im new to MB's but i really fell in love with this car after buying it a couple days ago. thanks for the input
Old 11-24-2006, 04:25 PM

well, after looking at it again today to try an visually find the leak, i noticed the fans on the outside of the radiator are not spinning at idle, and since it starts to heat up at idle im guessing its probably caused by the fans pushing cool air through the coolant in the radiator. do you guys have any idea of what could be causing the fans to not work? whats the normal running temp of the benz supposed to be at? the highest my temp will go is about 85-90 degress celsius and im thinking the normal temp should be about 80 degrees,thanks for the input
Old 11-24-2006, 05:33 PM

well, now iv completely changed my mind, i doubt there is a leak if any, but the auxiliary fans def. seem to be the culprit of why the car is heating up at idle. the fuse is good, the sensor on the thermostat, when removed, causes the auxiliary fans to come on high. so if its no the fan motor,or fuse, what could be causing the fans to not come on at the right temp? is there a resistor or valve not working? im knew to benz's but this seems pretty straitforward.
Old 11-24-2006, 05:52 PM

1995 c220 auto
Your normal running temp. is around 85c and your electric fan will not come in until 100c so you do not have a problem.
Geo.
Old 11-25-2006, 04:11 PM

well thats good to kno...but...why is my car smoking and smelling like its running hott? after it sits for a lil more then a minute or so the temp raises to 85-90 degress and smells like its getting hott and smoking off antifreeze from somewhere