C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Update (help still needed): C230 Wiper malfunction

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update (help still needed): C230 Wiper malfunction

I finally got the two plastic pieces off the arm and base of my wiper. I then applied the white lithium grease very liberally to pretty much the entire base. My wiper still doesn't work properly. Before, I mentioned that there is a buzz sound when I start my car. I verified that it is the wiper motor trying to work. After applying the grease, I tried my wipers, and "assisted" them in their movement. When I completed a complete back and forth, the buzz went away. I turned the car off and on, and it didn't come back. Apparently, everytime I turned on the car, it new that it still hadn't functioned properly, so it would try to turn the wiper for a few seconds.

I do still need some help. I think my wiper motor may be okay, because a couple of times when I turned the wiper on, it moved just a little bit. That gave me hope. However, does anyone know why it isn't working 100%. Do I need to give it time, then go back and grease again? Also, the grease says use in temps over 50 degrees, but here in Indy, it's not even close to that. Would that stop it from working?
Old 02-08-2007, 06:32 AM

It sounds as if your motor is burned out.

At my dealer, we usually suggest replacing the motor and the transmission as a pair, to the tune of about $1300.00

However, if you are handy, you can get the motor seperate, and try replacing that first. It's a pain to get all of the cowling trim off, and even harder to get it back on correctly. If it operates smoothly after that, you should be fine for some time. Call your local parts department for a price quote.

Grease that is used in temperatures lower than it is rated for can cause the lubricated parts to operate slower, and put more of a strain on the motor/mechanism trying to operate. My shop foreman told me to use ATF to lubricate my wiper, and it worked like a champ. I did, however, catch mine before it started sticking.. It was just getting noisy.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:24 PM

Eddie,

You say the motor is burned out. Why would the wipers move at all if that's the case? Although they aren't working well by any means, I have seen a little movement in the wipers before they get stuck. This is an improvement from before I put the grease on, since they didn't move at all.

Is it possible the motor is fine?
Old 02-10-2007, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by cehvinn33
Eddie,

You say the motor is burned out. Why would the wipers move at all if that's the case? Although they aren't working well by any means, I have seen a little movement in the wipers before they get stuck. This is an improvement from before I put the grease on, since they didn't move at all.

Is it possible the motor is fine?
Because the motor is probably still capable of moving some, but not enough to facillitate full proper usage.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:13 PM

wiper lubrication

I had to do the same thing to my wife's car tonight. I was able
to get the smaller cover off easy. the big one, well, I couldn't see or
feel any tabs. So, I tried using a screwdriver to separate the base
from the cover, and ended up chipping off a small peice of the metal
base. then I broke off one of those triangular tabs on the side of
the big cover. at that point, I just sprayed the grease on the extended
part of the arm, and the hole, and got the small straw in as far as it
would go and sprayed away. the wiper seems to work fine now, but
I am probably going to take it to my mechanic this week and have him
do the procedure for me since I couldnt get the cover off.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:33 AM

W202 C230k
i had this problem. it was corrosion inside the black box at the base of the wiper apparently its pretty common. i have no idea how to sort it though because my mechanic did it for me but apparently it only took him half hour so shouldnt be that much of a job!