C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

test drove a 99 c230k sport

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 10:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1993 190E 2.6
test drove a 99 c230k sport

So I test drove a 99' c230 k sport. I wasnt all that impressed.

The issues I had with it, were kinda weird. Tell me if all of them are like this, or maybe just this one had problems?

The gas pedal. Very sensitive and it downshifts "pre-maturly" IMO. I just wanted to go alittle faster. I only rpessed it down alittle more and it jolted my *** in the seat as it downshifted and the supercharger screamed. Wich, I really enjoyed. But, not soemthing I would want in everyday driving. That might just be something I have to get used to going from a mechnaical pedal to a electronic one.

Break pedal? It kinda stuck at first, then it was really soft. I ended up over breaking allittle because I had to apply additional pressure to get it past the "stick" part. I didnt have to stand on it mind you, but it definitly wasnt smooth as I was exspecting. Inconsistent backpressure I guess.

Supercharger. Didnt really feel, hear, or notice it had one till about 2,000 rmp. The moment I hit 2k tho, VERY noticable. Again, something I liked. But something I thought was wierd. I've never driven something supercharged. I was expecting off the line power to flow smoothly? Everyone always says "superchargers dont have Turbo-lag" I think it lags alittle.

Do all the c230 k's drive like this? Or did this one just have a few problems it needed worked out. I just know when I drove, I was overly motivated to give him 9,000 dollars. I feel like my money could be better spent on something else. Maybe thats how supercharged cars are, I might be better off getting the c280 n/a.

The car overall was nice, quit, radio sounded decent, not alot of road noise from what I could tell. Had a hell of a driver side blind spot. But, then again the driver side seat didnt work so I was sitting very high up and the seat was straight up and down. I think if I could have adjusted the seat, it would be better. The seats were nice. Steering wheel had a good feel. Sport package lowering looked nice, but I really want a 2000 non sport. I dont like the CF.

There are 2 intakes? One for the engine, one for the supercahrger? Do they both have filters?

So, do all the c230k's drive like this? Or are they as smooth as I would expect them to be?

Thanks for any input.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:48 PM

1993 190E 2.6
any input would be great on this. I really want one of these cars. I love everythign else about them, except for those few things. If they all drive like that, then i might have to go with something else. But, if that was just one that needed some work, ill get one that drives as smooth as it should.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230K
>>Break pedal? It kinda stuck at first, then it was really soft. <<

The brakes on that car do not sound typical for a C230.

>>The gas pedal. Very sensitive and it downshifts "pre-maturly" IMO.<<

I don't know if this is a problem or just a personal preference/perception issue. Additionally, the self adapting transmission may have something to do with how it was shifting at that moment. Especially if you had been recently really romping on things during a test drive.

>>Supercharger. Didnt really feel, hear, or notice it had one till about 2,000 rmp.<<

It has an electro clutch which can vary when the SC kicks in. What you experienced was about right for normal driving. BTW, when these cars are first started, for the first minute or so the SC is constanly engaged. At that point you will be glad the SC isn't always engaged. If you want to hear the SC, you will during this time. I find it obnoxious because that is when I am usually heading out through the neighborhood in the morning and the roar of the SC is loud enough to annoy.

>>"superchargers dont have Turbo-lag" I think it lags alittle.<<

Lag and kicking in are two totally different things.

>> I might be better off getting the c280 n/a. <<

Smoother engine but not as quick (if you don't believe the seat of your pants, check the track tests in magazines vs. the MB brochure). The 4 is easier to work on in my opinion (more room to access it, fewer plugs & coils, etc.)

>>There are 2 intakes? One for the engine, one for the supercahrger? Do they both have filters? <<

One filter but two different routings depending on whether it is sending air to the SC or bypassing.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:48 PM

1993 190E 2.6
Thank you very much. I did forget the Transmission being adaptive. That was probably the issue. Ill definitly be driving at least two more before I make up my mind.

I think the breaks were kinda screwed up. That just didnt seem right at all.

The pedal being sensitive is probably because im used to my pedal, 190e mechanical. This one is electronic. So its a diffeernt feel. Ill get used to it.

The SC not kicking in till later is fine with me, probably saves on gas or soemthing? Sounds good tho!

The more I think about the problems the mroe it just seems like things im not used to, and will adapt to and kinda "learn" how to control the car more. or just something that was probably wrong with that one.

I dont really want a 280 either. I really want the noise and feel of the S/C. If I dont get this car, ill either get a brand new V6 dodge stratus. Or some kind of a 2001 4cyl. Toyota Corrola. Those cars have incredable gas milage. I dont want to spend mroe 12k or so. before mods

Thanks for the info.

Last edited by PhilipM1; 04-29-2007 at 09:51 PM.