C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

P0500 Error & Limp Mode, Where is the VSS Sensor Plug on a 1997 C230?

Old 05-07-2007, 01:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P0500 Error & Limp Mode, Where is the ABS VSS Sensor Plug on a 1997 C230?

My 1997 C230 has 80k on it. It suddenly (at 70MPH) went into limp mode with a P0500 Vehicle Speed Sensor error. I was told that the problem was most likely with the transmission valve control module (part 140-270-08-61), which I replaced, but that made no difference. After the battery was reconnected the ABS light re-lit instantly when the car was started (before it was put into gear or the brake was touched). So I assume the problem is with one of the four vehicle speed sensors which I have learned can be tested and compared with an OHM meter.

The question is where is the 47 PIN ABS controller plug located on a C230?

Well I can answer my own question because on the very slick StarFinder component locater (STARWIRING GmbH) it appears the connectors are in the right front kick panel (front wheels) and the front right quadrant under the back trunk carpet.

Nevertheless, I would still appreciate any feedback as I have never played with VSS on a German car so any help would be appreciated. I am trying to troubleshoot this with the wiring diagram from a CrossFire, so I guess it is obvious that I am a hack. However, this should be a relatively easy fix with a few hints from someone that has been here before?

I am still very annoyed that a vehicle would be so poorly designed that it would slam itself into limp mode (second gear) at 70MPH because the computer saw an error in a non-essential (and almost useless in California) system (ABS-(Absolute BS)). I was on cruise control when this happened. It made a loud bang and then lost power which was followed by the ABS and MIL lights going on. I assume the bang was the tranny trying to shove itself into second gear? Other people have reported an identical scenario but to my knowledge no one has ever explained it. Anyone out there have a better theory than my WAG?

Last edited by disc9; 05-07-2007 at 06:26 PM.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:00 AM

Q & R
Maybe we can help each other out. I have a 2000 ML320 with a P0500 and P0720 code causing Limp Home mode too. I am communicating with a couple of members on a fix over on Tech Talk, "722.6 transmission need part no. or name". I too have replaced the transmission conductor plate to no avail. I am now going to check each wheel speed sensor.

I found a thread using search "VSS" where someone provided resistance values for the sensors. I think it was for an ML though, but it may work for your C. I also read a post where someone had a P0500 code and changed the one front drivers sensor but did not fix it.

Why do you need to access the ABS controller plug? Do you have any codes that indicate an ABS probkem? On my ML, it has BAS and ESP and those lights are lit along with the ABS and the Brake pad wear indicator when it goes into limp home.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:41 AM

W202 C250 Diesel 1999
Hi Had the same problem. ABS light went on and car was in limp mode. Error code was sporadic or resistance of rear wheel sensor implausible. The sensor on the W202 C250 for rear wheels is on the axle. there is no ABS sensor on the rear wheel so my guess is the one on the axle is what is used in the older cars. Anyway I removed the sensor on the axle (rear drivers side) checked the resistance with a meter it was 50,000 ohm and should be around 2,000. bought a new sensor for 11 pounds. installed it the gearbox immediately stopped jerking. drove for 100 meter the ABS light went off! problem solved.