C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

aftermarket HU w/ stock speakers?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 C220 | 03 TT 225
aftermarket HU w/ stock speakers?

I have a quick question with someone who has a aftermarket HU but stock speaker set up.

I was wondering, if you found the sound quality significantly better? or pretty much the same.

On my Golf, all I did was upgraded the HU and the difference was incredible. (I also have an aftermarket amp and sub) but that probably won't make a difference.

Please let me know,
Cheers!

PS: It's a Alpine HU.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 BMW Z4 sDrive35i M Sport
There are probably a million threads about this subject, but I'll post my opinion anyway.

It's a funny thing. I had Bose in my 1999 (the only one of my C 280's to get any aftermarket sound stuff), and I swore that the sound got better when I switched to an aftermarket head unit, but when, after 2 years of listening to the Blaupunkt, I switched back to the stock HU (when I sold it), I started to think the opposite. I think the overall sound clarity got better with an aftermarket HU. Your results with the Alpine may vary from mine with the Blaupunkt. I bet it would sound better.

But if you're a non-Bose system then, yes, it will definitely give you a much needed improvement. The results you got in your Golf are no surprise to me. The sound systems in VAG cars have this nasty "compression" on them to keep you from blowing the stock speakers and it makes them sound nasty. This can be contrasted to Bose systems' "special circuitry", which is actually just EQ settings built into their amps. It has a similar effect on their systems. Even though they sound better than most stock stereos, it's the same concept. The EQ it adjusted to cut certain bass frequencies at elevated volumes therefore avoiding distortion. Of course jusdgement on Bose sound quality (or any systems sound quality) depends on the listener's ears. My Audi's stock, non-Bose system was one of the worst I've heard till I changed the HU (with the same Blaupunkt from my former Benz). The difference was staggering. Then I added my 12" sub and am quite pleased with my results.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 C220 | 03 TT 225
thanks mate.