C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Long term storage of car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 08:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C280
Long term storage of car

I started carpooling going to school everyday and probably won't need the car for a year or two. What all should i do to prep it for storage. Will my seals on the engine eventually dry out if i don't drive it for a few months? I asked mbusa, and they said the car will be fine if i put some fresh oil in it and top off the gasoline tank. I don't want to sell the car since it's got sentimental value.

Thanks.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:20 AM

95 C220 | 03 TT 225
this link will help you
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2279006

of course, theres lots of steps that arnt really needed.
my car currently is sitting in canada for stoage, heres what i have done. (have done it once already, and it starts back without choking or anything. first start, and it works like new.)

1. fill it up with gasoline. don't leave your tank empty, it will rust your gas tank. either way, if its even made of plastic.. fill it with gasoline. put fuel stabilizer.

2. unplug the -ve terminal of your battery.

3. just put it in P gear, and don't use your e-brake. if this is in your garage, just put bricks in front of the wheels, so you can make sure they don't roll.

4. wash and wax, clean interior, everything.

5. i left all my windows closed, since it's a public carpark. but if you're putting it in your own garage, you could leave one window open a little bit for air-circulation. (put clothing softener too, to suck up the moist)

6. i have put a car cover on, to avoid any dust.

these are the basics, good luck.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C280
i heard my seals will eventually dry up. Is that true? Would it really hurt the engine if i dont start the car for 2 years?