C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

transmission change!! magnet???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transmission change!! magnet???

Hey I have been reading posts, of many people putting magnets in the pan after they change the trans. fluid. What and why would you put a magnet in the pan? Do you leave it the pan, then seal the transmission pan up and put fresh fluid?? Thanks!! for any Help!
Old 08-14-2007, 08:10 PM

97' C-class
Originally Posted by saveras
Hey I have been reading posts, of many people putting magnets in the pan after they change the trans. fluid. What and why would you put a magnet in the pan? Do you leave it the pan, then seal the transmission pan up and put fresh fluid?? Thanks!! for any Help!

there's normally a magnet on the bolt in the lower part of the transmission,
if you put the magnet separately in to the transmission, it gives danger on damages of cog wheels…
and belief me, you don't want this to happen!
(forgive me for my English, I have translated it with an online translator... "ashamed" )
PS: I drive a manuel changed transmission....

Last edited by no_mans_land; 08-14-2007 at 08:15 PM.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:03 PM

Trans magnets

I think the translation is that the magnet collects all the ferrous powder or microscopic chips, especially during breaki-in. When the second change is done presumably on a trans that has high milage in can forsee future problems due to high wear conditions or failures.
B