C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Question on installing CD Changer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 C230 Kompresser

Hi:
Just bought a MB CD Changer for my 2000 C230 Kompresser off E-Bay.
But before I did I asked MB which one should have been in my car if it came with it. They asked for a list of the options my car had and came back telling me I needed a 002 820 79 89 which is what I bought.
I have checked and the wiring is already in place. (Fiber Optic) Also the wiring for this is located on the left side of the trunk? I would of thought the changer would have been installed into the hole on the right side of the trunk.
Is it possible that they can be installed on either side???
Who else has a 2000 C230 Kompresser?? Where is yours installed?? A picture would be good, also has anyone installed one of these CD Changers before?? Is there any troubles I should be expecting??
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Spud
Old 09-15-2007, 01:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230K
The CD player is installed on the right/passenger side. Pull the black fabric covered pieces back to find the connections and to see the mounting point where you atttached the mounting bracket.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:35 AM

2007 E-350 4-Matic with Sport Suspension
The CD Changer is mounted in the hole by the right rear quarter panel where the top of the CD Changer is even with the trunk floor.

Also, when you plug the CD Changer in for the first time, the head unit may or may not recognize it. From what I understand, the head unit has to be programmed to reconize the CD Changer. Some W202's are programmed from the factory even though they are not shipped with a CD Changer.

I bought a used 1999 C280 that didn't come with a factory CD Changer and pursued the same route that you did, bought a factory unit on Ebay.
Fortunately, the head unit recognized the CD Changer after I plugged it in for the first time. You might want to disconnect the battery, connect the CD Changer, reconnect the battery, then enter the 5 digit security code into the head unit. This might enable the head unit to recognize the CD Changer.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:42 PM

97 c 230 160k. mi & just in Honda Odyssey 08, 8mi
I have a 97 c230 when installed Alpine CD changer (dont have to be MB is what i learn) as long as its compatible with brand stereo. It may be different for you since its a younger car. I did horizontal intall just like a Amp would be under speakers so i would keep that pocket clear for cleaning products or anything. So either way you install it dont make lot of difference.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:16 PM

2000 C230 Kompresser

Thanks everyone for your input, disconnecting the battery seems like a good idea. Will let you know how it goes. I was in looking at the wiring last night and found the fiber optic line, but there are a few other connecters in the trunk as well. I'm not sure which one is the power wire but it should be the only one that fits the changer.

I found a small flat connector, 3 wires, Brown, red and blue. All wires had a black tracer.

I found a larger square connector, all 3 wires were grey, with black, green and red tracer.

Anyway i'm sure one will fit..

Thanks again
Spud