C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

lowered suspension question!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 12:24 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 C280
Cool lowered suspension question!!!!

hi i just bought a 99 c280 white.. im going to put 19' black rims on it and tint the back lights black.. i want to know about lowering the suspension with some coil overs.. is it going to ruin my car?

i want to do this.. but my uncle who works on cars over 20 years now.. tells me with his experience it ruins the car and is not worth the headache and the problems that will arise.. i want to hear from people that have done it and can tell me a thing or two. PLEASE HELP!!

thanks
Old 09-21-2007, 07:09 AM

Hello! I have (in 2003) a Nissan and put some short springs on it. It was the worth thing I have done! Why? Because it's necessary change it all: dumpers; swing arms etc. No only the springs! I have a c200 kompressor with the sport suspension (came withe the car) and work's perfect! My advice is: on the max 17's rims and suspension from a offical dealer... Every thing else is s****!
Old 09-21-2007, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 BMW Z4 sDrive35i M Sport
Don't take this the wrong way, but your unlce is wrong. I don't know if they even make coilovers for the w202. However, if you want to go spring and shock to get this done, you need to do springs and shocks AT THE SAME TIME. You'll hear people argue me on this all day long about how they put springs on their stock shocks and they lasted X amt. of miles. Whatever, good for them. You still should't do it, even if you have sport package.

Should you decide to go this route, get some Bilsten Sport or Koni shocks and some Eibach or H&R lowering springs and have them put on together. Go to a reputable installer and you won't have any problems. After you are done, take it to an alignment place and have it aligned, everything will be fine. I would highly suggest, and I'll get arguements on this too, that you take it to the dealer to get the alignment done. I can't tell you how many cars I've had where I've had the alignment done elsewhere and ended up kicking myself in the *** for not taking it to the dealer in the first place. Unless you are at a Euro-specialty shop that has an alignment rack (which I would imagine you could easily find in the greater LA area), I would take it to a good dealer and have it done.

If you do this the way I've instructed it will NOT destroy the car and it will NOT give you problems. Also, I wouldn't go any bigger than 18" on a w202. There are people who have done it and all the posts I ever see from them involve rubbing issues, needing spacers, rolling fenders, and what not. Go with 18's and be done with it. Just be ware that the ride will get stiffer (very much so if you go with Bilstein Sports) and bumpier when you are lowered and when you're on low-profile tires. Be sure the rims you get are the proper offset as well or you will give yourself a bunch of headaches.

All that said, I wouldn't drive a car that wasn't lowered, it's SO worth it. I'm ****ing slammed on coilovers with my A4 and LOVE it. Yeah, I have to drive VERY slow over bumps and there are parking lots I can't enter, but I wouldn't trade the handling or look for anything.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:50 PM
Almost a Member!

1999 C280
Smile c280 suspension

thank you for that overview.. i am gettin 19 inch rims.. and the stores said i shouldnt have a problem with rubbing.. doyou mean i will have a problem with rubbing if its over 18's if i drop the car or in general even if i dont drop the car?..

how bout if i just want to give the car better handling without dropping it? and i dont want to spend over a grand.. what do you think is the best way to go..

my car is white.. im putting black 19's on it, tinting the back lights and putting limo tint.. and clear corners..

what would be good for handling?
Old 09-24-2007, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 BMW Z4 sDrive35i M Sport
What I meant was that I wouldn't go over 18" on a lowered suspension due to potential rubbing issues. If you are that dead set on having 19's and lowering it, go for it, but be warned. Rims alone won't give you better handling and 19's are going to be heavy which won't help much. The C 280 is slow as it is and I would think 19's would make it slower unless you spend mucho $$$ on lightweight ones. I would stick to 18's max. and drop it shock/spring.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:50 AM

Land Rover Discovery and Mercedes Benz C220
Lowering your C class doesnt ruin your car. Use the Bilstein sport shocks and H&R springs combination and you should be ok...
Old 10-11-2007, 02:26 PM

94-MBC-220/03-ML320
lowered suspension

Hi i have a 95 C-220- and i lowerd it the size of my rims is just 17" AMG star design. it looks great.I noticed theres still room for to make 18" and drop all the way. i just replaced the shocks ,Bilstein shocks.try 17" inch or 18" inch.tires and it looks perfect and the rides is perfect too.