C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

1999 C230K NOOB questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 06:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
was 1999 C230K then 2003 C32 AMG NOW 2016 AMG GLE63
1999 C230K NOOB questions

Ok, I just bought a 1999 C230 Kompressor with 78k on it a week ago, and I have a few questions.

#1 none of my 12v accessory plug items seem to work, and the lighter dosen't get hot, so, before I start breaking things, any tips on what and where to look, as in where are the fuses, are these cars prone to melting wires, etc.

#2 I would like to get an IPOD adapter so I can ditch the FM modulator / Tape adapter combo I used in my last car. Does there exist a product that would plug inline with the radio antenna? My car does have the CD changer in the trunk.

#3 Speaking of the CD changer, are there any brands or styles of CD-R's that it *will* read? I had a BMW with an Alpine that would only read Imation's, but my Truck [dakota, factory sterio] spit's Imations out and only play's TDK's and Memorex'es right.

#4 Where is a good place to pick up more CD magazines? Is there more than one style that I have to watch out for? I am kinda leery of Ebay, unless anyone can recommend a seller...

#5 Where can I get a Service Manual for this car? Ideally I would like to have a full paper manual and a searchable PDF copy. Again I have learned to be leery of Fleabay on previous vehicles, so, any suggestions?

#6 According to my Service records, I am approaching a "B" service at 80K. My two choices in Springfield, IL seem to be Roberts Automotive [small, cheaper] or Isringhausen [the dealer, more $$]. Does anyone have any input or suggestions about this. Is there any specific recalls or other service that I am due for [like BMW's and their timing belts - that type of thing.]?
Old 11-05-2007, 10:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230K
1. Check the two fuse boxes. One in the engine bay under the long black cover, one in the trunk by the spare tire.

5. Buy the Haynes manual for the w202. Buy a copy of the Mercedes WIS off of Ebay, or the w202 CD from the MB dealer.

6. A good independent mechanic can often be better than the stealership and much cheaper. You must find a good one though. If a tranmission fluid change hasn't been done, that is one service that is not in the manual which is now recommended.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Be careful about using an independant mechanic. Your car has very specific requirements for fluids and parts. You need to make sure the mechanic knows these requirements (oil, coolant, atf, etc.) or you will damage your car.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
300E 3.2
#5 There isn't much of a full paper manual generally available. The WIS seems to be the most comprehensive software, commonly pirated on ebay, but also available to dl online.

#6 As long as the indep. does quality work supply the indept. with the parts & recommended fluids, you'll save quite a bit over the stealership.

Also if you get a service manual you could tackle most of the easy stuff yourself.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
was 1999 C230K then 2003 C32 AMG NOW 2016 AMG GLE63
The independant seems to have a very good rep, and their lot is always full, so I am confident. I just rolled 80k and the Benz is going in Friday for a B service plus Tranny fluid and ceramic pads all around. Until I have time to Educate myself, it has to be the Mechanic...

What is this WIS?