C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Turn Signal Flasher/Relay location?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 03:23 AM

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts
2005 E55 Black, 2007 GL450 Carneol Red
Turn Signal Flasher/Relay location?

I'm trying to find what causes the turn signals to blink/flash on a late model W202.

I want to install LED turn signal bulbs front and back in my 1999 C43 without installing equalizing resistors. (Such resistors defeat the purpose of reducing the power requirement and heat of filament bulbs, and create a danger of melting whatever is next to the resistors.)

(Yes, I realize that the "Exterior lamp failure" will still light, but that happened as soon as I installed my LED tails. Either the lower parking light LEDs, or the upper brake LEDs would trip the 'failure', so I simply removed the 'failure' bulb from the Instrument Cluster. No codes are generated from the falsely assumed fault.)

http://autolumination.com/equalizers.htm has "flashers designed to work with any LEDs & or incandescent bulbs! You can mix Led and incandescent bulbs any way you like, and the flash rate will be normal."

Problem is that I can't find the flasher and/or relay in my 1999 C-Class W202.

I understand that the 1997 and earlier model W202s have a 13-pin 'Multi-Purpose Relay/Combination Relay' 2028204626 that control the turn signals (and a whole lot more), but I don't believe that big relay exists in the 1998-2000 C-Class models.

My C43 has 5 relays in the driver's side engine compartment fuse box, and I've temporarily pulled out all 5 relays, and even the cable that plugs in next to them, and the turn signals still flash.

I've also followed the clicking sound when the lights are flashing, and traced it to the inside of the Instrument Cluster. After disassembling the Cluster, I believe the 'clicker' is a soldered device right next to one of the turn signal lamps. I didn't get it completely apart in order to read any numbers on it, but I'd say that it's very unlikely that that is the actual flasher. My guess is that it is just a noise making device so that the turn signal indicators have an audio assist.

I've searched extensively on many M-B forums, the WIS, and even stumped a local M-B dealership, but still can not determine what causes the flashing.

Does ANY ONE know what causes the 1998-2000 C-Class turn signals to blink/flash and where it is???

Last edited by Kropf; 01-25-2008 at 10:31 PM.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'00 E320 Estate (W210)
Hmmm... I've never actually bothered having a look around to see where the blinker relay is eh? I would've assumed it would be in the same place as the older W202's, cuz there's not that much difference between them is there?

My 1994 C280 had it in the top left corner of the engine bay (if you stand facing the front of the car). It was under a big black plastic lid.

My C280 gave me so much trouble with that relay. The blinkers would die at the wrong place, at the wrong time. One of the reasons I traded her in for a 2000 C240 lol.

Have you tried scoping around the owner's manual? Unfortunately, my C240 didn't come with an owner's manual so I can't really help you out...
Old 01-25-2008, 10:47 PM

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts
2005 E55 Black, 2007 GL450 Carneol Red
Originally Posted by RevoWution™©®
... I would've assumed it would be in the same place as the older W202's, cuz there's not that much difference between them is there?
The forums have MANY complaints relating to that earlier 'Multi-Purpose Relay/Combination Relay', my guess is that it got enough attention to get fixed in the 1998-2000 models. It appears that the only problems with turn signals since the 1998 models are burned out bulbs (and fast blinking flashers when the original bulbs are replaced with LEDs).

Originally Posted by RevoWution™©®
Have you tried scoping around the owner's manual?(
I sure did, even searching the electronic PDF version available in a number of locations including http://Kropf.net/w202/ . (A favorite quote I often repeat: "The only thing I learned from my computer science degree... was to read the manual.")
Old 02-16-2008, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
Originally Posted by Kropf
The forums have MANY complaints relating to that earlier 'Multi-Purpose Relay/Combination Relay', my guess is that it got enough attention to get fixed in the 1998-2000 models. It appears that the only problems with turn signals since the 1998 models are burned out bulbs (and fast blinking flashers when the original bulbs are replaced with LEDs).

I sure did, even searching the electronic PDF version available in a number of locations including http://Kropf.net/w202/ . (A favorite quote I often repeat: "The only thing I learned from my computer science degree... was to read the manual.")
^+1
Old 11-26-2008, 01:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 CL55AMG, 2020 GLB250W4, 2020 SLC300
No blinker problem fixed by re-seating relay

Just had this problem today on my mother-in-law's 1995 C280. Blinkers were not working, but hazards were still operating normally.

Checked the relay (201 821 00 47) which was located in the compartment behind the main fuse compartment under the hood on the driver's side (have to remove several phillips-head screws to get at it). It's a rectangular black relay. Just re-seating it cured the problem and the blinkers are fine now.