C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Sunroof removal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sunroof removal

I have a 94 c220 and the guide jaw must have broke. One side of the roof tries to slide back and go down but the other ( passenger side) gets stuck. I can still tilt it up from the back without a problem. I know the Star manuall and others on forums say to remove the sunroof inner liner you have to be able to open it. It looks like the guide jaw bit the dust and is jamming the whole thing. I have also tried with the tool supplied to crank it back to no avail. The recommended process is to slide it open then take off the front molding and slide the liner forward.

Does anyone know any other way to remove the liner to get at the guide jaws.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:55 PM

1968 Mercedes Unimog TLF-8
Sunroof Removal

If you’re unable to open the inner liner to access the screws to remove the Sunroof Panel, you’re most likely going to have to remove the Headliner Board and drop the lower tub assembly also know as the Sunroof Cartridge and remove it out of the car to work on it.

That does pose a problem if you’re unable to release the inner panel.

This might be a job for a Professional that knows the ins and outs of your roof.

Make sure you use your Digital Camera if you attempt to do this your self and take plenty of pictures before you attempt to remove your sunroof or any parts, this way you have a picture archive of how to put it back when that time comes. Hope this helps in some way.

Let me know if I can help in any way. Bill
Old 03-12-2008, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by HeadlinerExpres
If you’re unable to open the inner liner to access the screws to remove the Sunroof Panel, you’re most likely going to have to remove the Headliner Board and drop the lower tub assembly also know as the Sunroof Cartridge and remove it out of the car to work on it.

That does pose a problem if you’re unable to release the inner panel.

This might be a job for a Professional that knows the ins and outs of your roof.

Make sure you use your Digital Camera if you attempt to do this your self and take plenty of pictures before you attempt to remove your sunroof or any parts, this way you have a picture archive of how to put it back when that time comes. Hope this helps in some way.

Let me know if I can help in any way. Bill
Bill,
Thanks for the info, but I do not have a sliding inner panel on the sunroof it is one piece. The service manual says to remove the front molding and then slide the inner lining forward after opening the roof. I can presently only tip it open from the rear.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:41 PM

1968 Mercedes Unimog TLF-8
2 ways to access your Sunroof

I’m fully aware which sunroof you have and how it works, this is what I do full time for a living is Repair Headliners & Sunroof Repair on Mercedes. I do my Share of “C” “E” "SEC" Class on a weekly Basis.

My point was if you’re unable to open the Sunroof and remove the front plastic strip that runs across the front of the Glass and slide the inner panel out the front, you may have to remove the Headliner Board to remove the Sunroof Cartridge so you can access the parts from the bottom.

Once the Sunroof Cartridge has been removed you will have access to the plastic strip your unable to get to now because your sunroof is locked up and wont open to access it.

OR

Another way to open your Sunroof is to remove the Sunroof Motor from the Sunroof Cartridge. CAUTION: Once the Sunroof motor has been removed it will un-lock the cables and you can simply by hand push back the glass (Depending on your Damaged Parts Inside) Just enough to remove the plastic strip.

If you do this you will need to reset the timing of the Sunroof its self and reset the timing of the sunroof motor to match when you job is complete. Bill
Old 03-13-2008, 11:31 PM

AMG C43, 1999
Bill, Headliner Express, How much does the total sun roof weigh with the motor included? Any rough idea on this.

Thanks in advance if you know the answer.

Jeff