C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

gadgets on the dashboard

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2002, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C280 Elegance
gadgets on the dashboard

Can anyone tell me what the two little electrical fittings are, on top of the dashboard, one on each side underneath the windscreen. They are like small microphones; one has a red indicator light (not illuminated) and both have a wire gauze or mesh disc like a microphone or speaker cover. They "point" in towards the car, and I thought at first they were burglar alarm sensors. But the red light doesn't come on (I would expect it to blink, like an immobiliser). I have seen these on another MB I test drove (1995 vintage) so they may be MB features. But my handbook does not say anything about them. Perhaps an alarm is an optional fitting. If it is a burglar alarm, how do I switch it on?

Another possibility I thought of was that they are something to do with a mobile phone, but I don't think so because there is a small Nokia speaker in the passenger footwell, and a mike near the rear-view mirror. Why have more.

Thanks to anyone who knows!
Old 11-29-2002, 04:51 AM

Alarm?

I would have thought they were the alarm sensors (approx. 2cm long x 1cm square), other than that could they be after market speaker tweeters?
Old 12-02-2002, 03:52 AM

C280 Elegance
But how do you "set" them? I am assuming that the alarm is not set by locking the doors with the remote, because the red light on the right-hand sensor remains off. Also, because the car was broken into a few months ago, and the alarm evidently didn't go off.
Old 12-02-2002, 12:10 PM

I presume the alarm doesn't work any more. On mine I've a led near the light switch which flashes when armed.