C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Weird noise from underneath the shifting gear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 07:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 C220
Unhappy Weird noise from underneath the shifting gear

Hi! I recently started hearing noise underneath the shifting gear. It sounded like a boiling water or like a metal that hits one another. it's kinda scary to hear it really loud specially when it's a cold morning. It won't go away, i haven't had it check yet, maybe anyone in the forums knows or maybe has the same problem. any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 05-23-2008, 10:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230K
It is going to be hard for anyone to diagnose your problem based on the very minimal description you gave. It could be as simple as the very common worn out shifter bushings. If it is, a couple of shifter bushings and clips will run you less than $4 at autohausaz or other online parts places. They can be a pain to change out though. Search across all the forums here to find threads on this. It is a common issue across many MB models. Then again, it could be something totally different down in the transmission that will cost you thousands. Nobody can tell you though based on the information you gave.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230K
BTW, here is a good thread on the bushings:

http://www.club202.com/forums/showth...highlight=jack

If you can grab the shift knob and push it to the side/back/etc. (while staying in the same gear position) and get the noise/vibration to stop, then it very likely could just be your bushings.

Last edited by xvvvz; 05-23-2008 at 10:37 AM.
Old 05-24-2008, 06:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 C220
Originally Posted by xvvvz
BTW, here is a good thread on the bushings:

http://www.club202.com/forums/showth...highlight=jack

If you can grab the shift knob and push it to the side/back/etc. (while staying in the same gear position) and get the noise/vibration to stop, then it very likely could just be your bushings.
Sorry bout the short descripton. But it's definetly not the bushing. I just had those replace couple of months ago thinking it would fix the problem. It sounded like it's either comng from the engine firewall or underneath the shifting gear. I have no problem shifting or whatsoever. It sounded like a broken muffler, you know how that sounds like right? it's like that. It made my car sound like my car is running on diesel. BTW, i only hear it when i'm on park or neutral position. If you still can' figure it out, maybe you can provide me with some guiding questions. Thanks!