C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

C230 Misfires after driving down a hill or making some turns

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c230
C230 Misfires after driving down a hill or making some turns

Hello,
I drive a 1997 C230 with about 50k miles. I recently replaced the mass airflow detector and the error codes related to its failure disappeared. The car has started exhibiting a strange behavior. It will run fine but then at certain spots in the road, it will begin to sputter, the diagnostic light will flash and then it will run poorly sputtering and no power. If I power down and restart it will run fine again.

The problem occurs at the same spot in the road each time. The circumstances are that I go down a hill or valley and the problem will occur. Sometimes there is a combination of going down a hill followed by a turn, but it seems just going down a hill and then up, triggers the problem.

Are there any ideas? I was wondering if it could simply be a clogged fuel filter. I know my Subaru has a sensor to detect the atmospheric pressure. Is there an issue with that or a way to detect possible manifold vacuum leaks??

The diagnostic code is a misfire on cylinder 3.

Any ideas are appreciated.
Thanks

Last edited by tonytc230; 01-15-2009 at 08:28 AM. Reason: spelling and added the diag code