C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

HELP! Engine fan constantly on.. Fuse 21??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 11:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C180 (1998)
HELP! Engine fan constantly on.. Fuse 21??

Hey everyone, I've had my 1998 C180 for around 3 years, and all of a sudden it seems to be hell-bent on breaking apart bit by bit. After a variety of fixes (replacing window motor, brake-booster switch to clear ABS light etc..) I'm left with two main problems, the window wiper parks itself in the middle of the screen, and the heating/ac has stopped blowing air.. I'm figured out how to repark the wiper, and through research and blind hope, have decided the motor brushes have worn out for the blower and ordered replacement parts..

this however brings me to a new problem/query, as a prelim check, I went through the fuse box to make sure blown fuses weren't the cause of no heating.. in doing so I accidently moved Fuse 20 (responsible for heater system apparently) to Fuse 21.. this caused the ambient lighting for the heating panel to stop working and the EC light to stay off permanently (the rear defroster & recirc button still lit up though)

As a side effect of moving the fuse from 20 to 21 (think its a blue 15A fuse, not 100% though) I've noticed the engine fan now works (never noticed the noise in 2 years of driving!) and whereas the car used to mildy overheat, it now stays constant in the middle of the temp guage.. my problem now is that the engine fan starts up almost immediately when I start the car (even when its cold) and stays on max power, its ridiculously loud, sounds like a street cleaner truck.

Soooo.. I've now moved the fuse back from 21 to 20, and the engine fan stays off, and car overheats mildy again.. my question is should there be a Fuse at all in slot 21 (i've checked the fuse map, its not mentioned anywhere) and if so, why would it cause the engine fan to stay on full power all the time??

If anyone has time, could they check if they have a fuse in slot 21, if possible, could anyone with a similar model post a pic of their fuse box so I could compare it to mine.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C180 (1998)
bump.. any help would be greatly appreciated, it's confusing why mercedes would have a slot for a fuse 21 even though it's not mentioned on the fuse map.. does anyone else have a fuse in this slot?
Old 05-31-2009, 04:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
97 C28
check your relays? its not being told to relax so its gotta be something which controls its kickdown call the dealer ask about the sequence ( what cause's the fan to chill out )
If I ever run into something I cant get answered when i'm stressed about it i just call and talk to the service advisor.. mercedes owners aren't your everyday buyers therefore were treated with respect at the dealer untill the salesman sees ur weak...LOL - but what do I know I only been on both sides of that table...