C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Bleed Brakes tonight

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 01:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
97 C28
Bleed Brakes tonight

Easy Proceedure bleed the front brakes has anyone any information on how the lines work.

when bleeding is it on an individual bases or you bleed one you bleed the other?
Old 06-06-2009, 09:24 AM

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
2014 ML350 4Matic
You need to bleed each caliper individually.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:02 AM

97 C28
Thanks and I also ran over to club202 with a question and found out that the bleeding is best done with 2 people that the whole machine pumping or whatyacall it brake bleeder asst for a pump hook up isnt best ...

I want to flush the fluid now so i just open each one and let it flow out and keep pouring fluid in till it comes out clean then bleed?
Old 06-08-2009, 07:51 AM

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
2014 ML350 4Matic
The method described on Club 202 should not be used. FYI, to use that method one person presses the brakes, the other person opens the bleed valve (fit a piece of clear tubing onto the bleed valve and place the free end in a bottle). The first person pushes the pedal to the floor and HOLDS it. The second person closes the bleed valve. The first person takes their foot off the pedal. Repeat about 50 times per caliper. You will only get a few cc per stroke and you want to flush anywhere from 50cc to 500cc per caliper depending on how dirty the system is.

The reason that method should not be used, according to the factory folks, is that it strokes the master cylinder well past the normal range and may damage the master cylinder seals.

Just opening the bleed valves and hoping for the caliper to drain will not work. You will just introduce air into the system.

Think about this. You are simply trying to purge a fluid handling sysytem, much like the water system in your house. To do that you put pressure on the house and force the air out throught the faucets. The same applies to the brake system. Pressure bleeding is the best way to go. For some older systems you can vacuum bleed the with a Mityvac, but ABS systems require pressure bleeding.

Here are a couple pressure bleeders for moderate cost:

http://store.motiveproducts.com/shar...unt2=787818551

http://www.autoexpertproducts.com/eezibleed.htm

I use an Eezibleed. I cut off the tire chuck from the end of the air hose and fitted a connector that fits my compresser air system. Use 20 PSI as a bleed pressure. When my Eezibleed dies I will probabaly get a Motive bleeder because you don't need an air source - it has it's own pump.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:24 PM

C230K
As long as you keep the pedal pressing in the normal range, the two person method works just fine and will not be a problem. If you can afford a pressure bleeder, those are great too.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:29 PM

97 C28
I heard that the prcedure you explained the one that I read on club202 same concept I heard that the bleeder pumps are ok but the best way is the old 2 person way...its good to know i may haft to get more information to understand this proceedure I really want to do this in the next few weeks I remember reading brakes should be flushed once a year ...bottom line i really love these cars and its fun takeing care of them thanks to mercedes..

I heard there new commercial about how they only put there name on the best of engineering..and that mercedes benz is superior in everything really made me proud...
Old 06-08-2009, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
300E 3.2
I have the motive power bleeder although $50ish seems like a lot, but it does make everything very easy