C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

94 C280 intermittent A/C problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
94 C280 intermittent A/C problem

I'm experiencing an intermittent problem with the A/C on my 94 C280. The problem started a few months ago while driving with the air conditioning on. For no apparent reason the interior fan stopped and the red lights on the climate control panel went out suggesting the power to the panel was interupted. When I shut the car off and restarted it the power to the panel was restored and the A/C worked fine. This has happened a few time over the past months but now happens at least once every time I drive the car. I noticed that when the A/C comes back on the air is hot. There may be nothing to this as it may just be like any other start up in hot weather where the a/c needs time to cool the air. It almost seems like a failing relay that is reset when the car is shut off and restarted. The problem is I don't see such a relay listed for the car. I did see a blower motor regulator and comfort relay when I searched the internet for C280 relays. Has anyone experience this problem or have any idea what the problem might be?

Thanks in advance,
Rich
Old 06-22-2009, 12:30 AM

1997 C230
sounds like your compressor is going... I had a similar problem with my 97 c230, but for me it was a whine with the pulley followed by the ac getting warmer... you should leave in EC mode until you figure out the problem...
you could also reset your module, but not sure if your 94 has the same reset as mine. try here
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w202...st-button.html

good luck

Last edited by thorntcl; 06-22-2009 at 12:35 AM.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:24 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'll run the diag and see what it tells me. I removed all the relays to get the numbers off them and since then the problem hasn't returned. It may have been a bad connection that reseating the relays corrected. I understand these cars had wiring harness issues but don't know if the harness was ever replaced. I bought the car a few years ago to hold me over while restoring another car. A carfax I found in the car shows the CPU was replaced under warranty in 2000 or 2001. Chances are the wiring harness was changed at the same time but I have no way of knowing. If I figure this out I'll post a follow up.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:48 PM

1997 C230
Originally Posted by richieph
Thanks for the reply. I'll run the diag and see what it tells me. I removed all the relays to get the numbers off them and since then the problem hasn't returned. It may have been a bad connection that reseating the relays corrected. I understand these cars had wiring harness issues but don't know if the harness was ever replaced. I bought the car a few years ago to hold me over while restoring another car. A carfax I found in the car shows the CPU was replaced under warranty in 2000 or 2001. Chances are the wiring harness was changed at the same time but I have no way of knowing. If I figure this out I'll post a follow up.
Good to hear you have A/C again in this heat (at least it's hot where I am)
If it goes again then run the diagnostics first to save yourself pulling the module out...
let us know how things go