C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Supercharger removal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230K
Supercharger removal

My 2000 C230 supercharger has a bad clutch. I have a replacement, I've started removing the s/c from the car, and I could use a little guidance. I've removed or loosened the four s/c mounting bolts, and the thing now wobbles around as expected. I've removed the alternator and the two bolts attaching the alternator mount to the block, but the **** mount still won't move. Next I removed the inverted Torx bolt below the belt tensioner, but the mount is still solidly fixed. What is retaining the alternator mount, and how do I release it?
Thanks,
Andy
Old 06-20-2009, 12:44 PM

C230K
(replying to self)

Well, I took another look and decided it should come out from above if I removed the intake and outlet plenums. And indeed I now have the supercharger out. But there was a lot of fiddling involved in removing the outlet plenum, and I'm not confident that I will be able to re-install those bolts with the s/c in situ. Any advice on this issue would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Andy
Old 06-21-2009, 12:18 PM

C230K
(and again . . . )

Well, the job is done. Just to answer my own questions - the alternator mount is actually also the supercharger mount, and it cannot come out without removing the supercharger. So the s/c must be removed from above.
The plenum at the rear is the tricky one, it's actually the intake plenum. It can be re-attached in the car, but as expected it takes a lot of patience.
Andy
Old 06-21-2009, 05:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230K
So are you saying that if you did this again you would just try doing everything from the top and not try taking off the bracket too?

Are you sending your SC in for service or going to try to repair the clutch yourself?

Curious minds want to know for future reference!
Old 06-21-2009, 08:01 PM

C230K
If I did this again the supercharger would still have to come out from above. There are four bolts located under the supercharger which hold the bracket to the block, so you can't get the bracket out of the way until the s/c is removed. You still need some access from underneath to get to two or three of the intake plenum bolts, although next time I would consider removing the pipe which gets in the way if that would allow me to pull the s/c and plenum together.
I had a rebuilt supercharger waiting, changed them out and will return the old core.
Now perhaps someone can help me with the next problem - after doing this job all four windows now roll down but not up (sounds like a relay?)
Old 06-21-2009, 11:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230K
If you disconnected the battery, then the windows might just need to be re-synchronized (sunroof too). You can search here or look in your manual. That would be the easy thing. After that, I bet your hunch about the relay would be a good place to start.