C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Need help on changing instrument light...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2003, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help on changing instrument light...

I need to replace some bulbs inside the cluster...what are the ways to take it out? I've got a pair of OEM pull hook...but its impossible to just stick em in and pull the whole thing right out...and i don't wanna make any damage...help?

regardz,

k-god
Old 02-17-2003, 01:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Stick the cluster hooks in the sides of the cluster, twist them 90 degrees, pull the cluster out.

If you have a problem with the steering wheel (some people do), remove that first. According to the service manual, the airbag then steering wheel should be removed before the cluster.

-s-
Old 02-18-2003, 10:08 PM

Sanx Scorchie for the reply!

I did pull the cluster out...but like u said the steering wheel is a problem...how do u take it off?

regardz,

k-god
Old 02-18-2003, 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 SLK-280
If you pull the steering wheel you need to take it to the dealer to get the srs light reset.
Old 02-19-2003, 01:10 AM
Almost a Member!

C220
From what I understand, it is possible to avoid the srs light reset by first disconnecting the battery, and *not restarting the car* until everything is back in place.

Liability issues first: the airbag is an integral safety device, and I claim no knowledge or expertise in the handling of such devices, and recommend that all readers consult with Mercedes Benz professionals regarding any handling of such devices. The following information is a compilation of various posts I have read on the Internet, and should not be treated as definitive. I again stress the sensibility of asking a professionally trained technician to perform any task involving safety devices.

That being said, first straighten out the wheels as exactly as you can-- This well make re-installing the steering wheel on-center a bit easier. To remove the steering wheel, first disconnect the battery. Then there are two torx screws that can be accessed from the back-- I think that they can me moved with allen keys, which might be a lot easier than trying to find a torx driver that'll fit that deep in. This will allow you to take off the airbag-- disconnect the connectors. Then there should be a bolt that is holding the wheel on. You'll need a breaker bar to remove this as well as a friend to hold the wheel in place so you don't destroy the steering wheel lock feature. Then there may be some slightly more elaborate procedure regarding how you unplug the cluster itself. Given this whole rigamarole, and the decidedly unsavory prospect of fooling around with my airbag, I have decided to live with one dead bulb. I may change my tune when a few more go dead as well.

If you have a telescoping wheel, I've been told that if you extend the wheel as far out as possible, you *might* be able to wiggle the cluster out. But one slip, and you've got an expensive problem on your hands.

I think that there are a few writeups on mercedesshop.com that deal with this process.
Old 02-19-2003, 06:39 AM

Thx for the replies~

Umm...seems like its becoming harder...lol. I only hope my steering wheel can stretch an inch more out...o wellz. I will have to figure it out some day else when i'm free for the whole day...

peace-

k-god
Old 02-19-2003, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
On a W202, you should be able to pull the airbag, and as long as the key is not put in the ignition and turned, the SRS light will be none the wiser.

However, you can wiggle the cluster out sideways without taking the wheel off, as long as there is a telescopic steering column set to full extension.

If you haven't done it before, it may seem not possible. Once you get it done, it's pretty easy on subsequent tries.

-s-
Old 02-21-2003, 02:27 AM

I think its impossible to wiggle out the cluster with the steering wheel on even though its extended at its max.......for me... so i guess i'll have to take the wheel off first... what size of the allen keys do i need?
Old 02-21-2003, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
C63, GT3RS, 430 Scud, E63, CGT
torquex tips. T25 i think. heheh